• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New toy.

wingsandwheels

I was half hardheartedly looking for one of these for along while and found this one. It's a '72 and was partially amateur restored. They did a decent job and I'll finish the rest...mostly some odds and ends and electrical gremlins. Most importantly, the frame and bulkhead are solid, the engine is strong and the vehicle came w/ some nice extras. Pleasure dealing w/ the seller also, that is always a plus.

Looking forward to the Summer...
lr1v.jpg

(seller's pic)

60Bugeye

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
SO jealous. I might be willing to give up my 97 Discovery for one of these.

OK, maybe not. I would need to have both! :smile:

Nice find!

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:thumbsup: A gem! Buff all the grounds, then have years of fun with that one!

OP
wingsandwheels

wingsandwheels

thanks all. Nice looking Series III...i am looking for a set of original steps...Wife is 5'.

I was thinking of swapping the running lights and signals, you may have pushed me over the edge. It makes sense. I am going to LED 'bulbs' (in the original housings) on most of the lights and will do it then. I don't really like the LED look, but do like the minimal current draw.

...still chasing grounds to clean and slather w/ dielectric paste....and replacing a star washer here and there.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Good luck with it. I had a new one. The engine strained above 55 MPH! I broke 3 axles and that's not running off road. Hope yours has Overdrive, they scream without one. It was absolutely the roughest riding vehicle I've ever owned! I sold mine a year after I bought it for 2/3rds of what I paid for it and the guy I sold it to only had it for 6 months. Sorry for the down side, it's just it was a thorn in my side that I couldn't wait to get rid of. I call them as I see them! Sorry. PJ

I forgot to mention that a doctor friend of mine went to Africa on Safari every couple years and had his LR shipped over with him. He had a special rack made in the back to carry 4 new axles as he broke them constantly. Last time he came back he had a big hole in the right door and dents behind it from a Rhino attack! Tore the vehicle up pretty bad. He never went again.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice truck!

Someday I'll be tempted into getting one of those...

OP
wingsandwheels

wingsandwheels

Thanks. It was partially amateur restored and wound up (still) taking a bit more effort than I originally scoped, but these projects always do. I figure on ~80 hrs into her so far.

The engine seems fine, it is very quiet and does not consume or leak much oil. Surprising as these engines are usually a bit clattery. Only concern I have the the oil pressure reads ~40psi almost constantly....cold, hot, does not matter. It rises normally albeit slowly but the oil pressure light goes out quickly (~2 seconds) so I am fairly sure that it is a gauge circuit issue as opposed to something w/ the engine.

I kept her mostly original. The only 'tweaks' are LED bulbs in the original lamps (for the low current draw), aftermarket door panels (Iron Goat 4X4, great products) and she came with a Weber 34ICH carb which is a common replacement for the original Zenith.

The ignition system received my 'go to' setup for older British cars: Bosch 'sport' coil, Blue in this case, fine wire plugs, quality wires/cap/rotor and a Pertronix. Really worked wonders here. She had a relatively recent tune up, the ignition components were in decent condition, but her drive-ability is much improved.

What is truly amazing is how relatively easy these are to work on, especially the access as compared to my other cars: one hour and the entire interior and floor is open, also nice to be able to lift off the bonnet and stand on the bumper for engine work. The SAE/metric/Whitworth/? mix can be challenging, but part of the fun of owning one of these.

w

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good looking car if I don't say so myself.
I've had mine now for 35 years. Bought it from the original owner who purchased it for their stint in Congo from 63-68. I've broken two axles in that time and changed two others per recommendations. I installed parabolic springs. It smooths the ride considerably but quality springs are difficult to obtain and a bit expensive. Electrically heated front screens are available. They help a lot.