Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I am almost ready to install my new motor and I want to relocate the oil filter for easier access. I know this has been done and I was wondering where is a good place to mount the filter? Maybe somebody has some pics? I was thinking of the shroud next to the radiator. I have no fresh air hose for the heater. Heck, I have no heater.
I think that the filter location is the most sensible thing they did on the A Series engine. Or are you putting in something different? Even with the old canister housing it is out in the open and doesn't drip on any thing but thru the sheet metal hole under it. My vote would be to leave it where it is I see hose's and such as just another thing to leak.
Maybe my 1275 is different. I cannot reach the filter with any type of wrench. The only way I can remove it is to punch a screwdriver into it and un-screw. Oil spills all over the place. Maybe the Midget location is different than the BE location?
I have the adapter to use a spin on type on my 1098. Just a few hours ago I reached through the opening in the frame, through the wheel well (the wheel was off as I was lubing too) and was able to get a little purchase with my filter wrench, just enough to loosen it. Easy filter change compared to some, but I forgot to pre-fill the filter and got nervous on restart waiting for pressure to build up.
BTW I put in 4 quarts but I run an oil cooler (cooler stays full I'm pretty sure during changes so I guess it doesn't count?). Dipstick says that's about right but the dipstick is jerry rigged so not trust worthy. 4 quarts with a filter change about right?
There are different oil filter housing's and I wonder if you have the right one fitted. One requires a steel spacer block under it. All the ones I have are easy to access thru the hole in the sheet metal under the filter. Maybe a check at the local auto parts store on filter wrench's that are available would yield something that would work.
KA
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.