• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Nash Met owner

G Klug

Freshman Member
Country flag
After owning German Opels for 50 years (still have a 1970 GT and a 1975 Mnta A) my wife saw and fell in love with a Met at a local car show. We looked at a couple locally that were listed on E Bay and bid on a very nice one on Bring a Trailer but was out bid. Finally found one on line that wasn't a scam and got a lot of photos and videos of car running and hood open. We are in S Carolina and last week when she was going north to Erie, PA to visit family, she stopped in Ohio and looked at and drove the car. She liked it (it was at a small classic car dealer) so mailed a check and drove up Sunday and picked the car up Monday. Got it home and have begun to go thru it. There is a folder of years and years of receipts of parts (in 2001 a previous paid $200 EACH for Nash hub caps!) and work performed on the car. It is solid but has some issues. Wipers don't work, heater control cable is not in a sheath so does not do any thing except bend, shifter needs adjusting, radio doesn't work, visors need replacing, etc. Got the Met-parts catalog so will be trying to get some items we need. Mechanically she seems solid and body wise and the under side all seem good. Attached are pics of the 2 Opels the Met (hasn't been named yet) will be sharing the garage with. I will be seeking a lot of advice I'm sure, the first being how to trouble shoot the wiper issues. Doesn't seem to do anything, but I will search the forum for advice before I bore you with questions that have been answered a thousand times (we have the same newbies doing that on the Opel forums. Wife loves the Met so far. Shifter needs to be adjusted but printed the info MetParts e mailed me on that procedure.

Attachments

• Nash front.jpg
    Nash front.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Nash r rear view.jpg
    Nash r rear view.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 32
  • GT cleaned 8 2023 1.jpg
    GT cleaned 8 2023 1.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Manta at Rt 66 with Bitter.jpg
    Manta at Rt 66 with Bitter.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the British Car Forum. You have some nice cars!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! I've always like the Manta Rallyes.Looks a Bitter next to yours.

OP
G

G Klug

Freshman Member
Country flag
Update on Met. Replaced the entire wiper motor and assembly so that's working. Motor was not working. Cleaned and lubed everything and got a full hands on insight to how the entire system operates. Converted the electrical system to Negative ground. Very simple process. Installed a new heater switch so that's working. Took the heater apart to clean and inspect heater core, replace gaskets, and order missing parts. Replaced tie rods and replaced the ball bearing front wheel bearings with roller taper bearings. The muffler had rust thru so removed it all and have all new exhaust to put on it. Took the seat out to clean and lube tracks, install seat belts and new carpet. Also bought an am/fm Met radio to get a working sound system in it. Car show season is nearing the end for the season here in S Carolina but will be ready to go next spring.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great news! It is all those 'little' projects that make a huge difference. :cheers: