• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member Triumph TR3

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
Hello, I just purchased a 1960 Triumph TR3a. My daddy had three TR3s in his lifetime. His first one was actually the "family car," carting us kids in it. That was over 50 years ago. I have been wanting one for many years, and now, this beautiful Triumph has resurrected many fond memories. I love it.
03B57254-0C33-4F14-B6F1-EBD9B57B61C3.jpeg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome - great color combination!

Kerrville - memories there. Had an aunt, uncle and cousin who lived in Comfort. Spent lots of summers there back in the mid fifties, early sixties.

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
I have already purchased replacement fender mirrors, rubber mats, a trunk carpet kit, and a Robbins tonneau and installed them. I have gained experience in these areas and am willing to answer any questions on the correct tools to use, for example the lift-the-dots using less expensive tools or other questions anyone may have.

I have also purchased, but not yet installed, new rear bumper overriders, new gas cap, new rubber boot for the shifter, new webbing for the soft top, chrome fender stone guards, and will gain experience in the future installing these as well.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello, please warn me when you're near Temple... if we park too close I might mistake your '60 for my '59!

325958925_1491547951337920_2087160521880494161_n.jpg

#1 on my cosmetic to-do is converting back to wire wheels. Minilites are great, but seeing the laces on your car just reinforces how much I prefer them!

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
Welcome - great color combination!

Kerrville - memories there. Had an aunt, uncle and cousin who lived in Comfort. Spent lots of summers there back in the mid fifties, early sixties.
Kerrville has grown a little to about 20,000 people. But it is still a beautiful place to live. Be careful not to sleepwalk here someone told me you might fall off a hill! That person lived in the Texas panhandle ha ha. No, but seriously, we love to ride bikes near the river, and now I think our TR3 is the only one of his kind in Kerrville. We get plenty of shout outs.

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
Hello, please warn me when you're near Temple... if we park too close I might mistake your '60 for my '59!

View attachment 86227

#1 on my cosmetic to-do is converting back to wire wheels. Minilites are great, but seeing the laces on your car just reinforces how much I prefer them!
You have a beautiful car! I never get tired of looking at the Triumph TR3. How do those side windshields do for you, do they make a difference?

My TR3 came with new painted wire wheels. The paint job on my car is well over 10 years old. Next year, when I paint the car, I’m going to get chrome wire wheels. If you prefer the painted wire wheels, I’ll sell them to you at a good price.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks! I have really fallen in love with the warmer look of painted wheels, so you may have a deal!

It's been so Texas-windy ever since I bought the car that I can't tell if the wings make a difference. The crosswinds are stronger than the wind resistance moving forward :unsure: I was planning to run errands tonight but the forecast says sustained 20mph winds gusting to 40. And they call that "breezy".

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
Thanks! I have really fallen in love with the warmer look of painted wheels, so you may have a deal!

It's been so Texas-windy ever since I bought the car that I can't tell if the wings make a difference. The crosswinds are stronger than the wind resistance moving forward :unsure: I was planning to run errands tonight but the forecast says sustained 20mph winds gusting to 40. And they call that "breezy".
I here you! Same situation here, so I just bundle up for it. Warmer and calmer days ahead though 😉
C5D98157-F06B-4AA6-B825-D1007662790E.jpeg

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Fun with aerodynamics!

I had a chance to play with those wind wings on a chilly but mostly still Saturday morning drive from Temple to Georgetown (and back) at speeds up to 80mph. It seems that the position of my left hand on the steering wheel makes at least as big a difference as the wings do! Maybe that wouldn't be the case without the wings, but...

From "full retracted" to "full open" the position of the wing changed the buffeting a little. It went from "I'm about to lose my hat" to "I'm likely to lose my hat."
Tucking my hand down at the 6:00 position vs holding the wheel at 10:00 or 11:00 made a BIG difference. It went from "this wind is hurting my face" to "it's a little breezy in here."
The biggest difference seemed to be when I put my hand on the bottom edge of the wind wing in order to adjust it. It went from "I don't know if I can make it to Georgetown" to "why did it suddenly get so quiet?"
Had it been a warmer day, I'd have kept my hand on the bottom of the wing. I may experiment with some tape to see what the ideal position and shape is for an additional little "tail" at the bottom of the flap. Maybe the magic combination would involve a small mirror attached to the windscreen stanchion?? 2 birds!

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
That was really a fun read 😊. We all love a convertible, but hate the wind. Why can't it be like in the movies where you see Rock Hudson and Doris Day zipping down the road in a convertible and their forehead bangs are barely moving in a soft breeze?!? Because they're really sitting in a car in a studio with a gentle fan blowing on them! I'm 65 yo and dealing male pattern baldness. It has gotten to the point I have to grow one side long and do a comb-over. Yeah, the minoxidil, finasteride, and ketoconazole shampoo on board helps, but it does not stop my hair from standing straight up in the wind. That's when it looks like I got a sail going on... or at least a weak excuse of a mohawk! I can't stand windy parking lots! So... I struggle with my own aerodynamics because I wear my baseball caps when I drive my Triumph. I found that I have to adjust my hat down 2 sizes smaller. But even then I have to be careful which way I turn my neck as I can feel the dang thing start to blow off. It kinda diminishes the experience; driving this cool roadster while simultaneously being a human windsock. I can tell the direction of the wind and the speed. I think I will try a newsboy hat - it has a smaller bill.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I gave up on minoxidil and just recently decided to give up on the special shampoos as well. Hats and sunblock for me from now on. I'd shave it but I'm pretty sure I'd just look like an overgrown infant.

Last year my wife & I decided to try wired headsets in the convertibles so we wouldn't have to shout at each other. Turns out, they protect your hearing, your voice, your marriage, and your hat! Still, my wife's baseball cap managed to blow off (70+mph -- good thing she couldn't find her concrete-grey hat that morning; her white hat was much easier to spot in the middle of the road) and my tweed flat cap didn't even flinch. I'd bet that's half the reason for their popularity in England!

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
I made this fun video the first day we rode in the Triumph:
The TR3 fits well in the mancave (converted garage) because we can enjoy it day and night in all weather conditions. We spend time with it even when we are not driving it. I love tinkering with the TR3 while the wife is with me watching a movie... or the next season of The Mandalorian which is on now! I will post more pics of the Triumph in the mancave later. These photos show a 52 Chevy truck, but the Triumph has taken its place for the moment. We will bring the Chevy truck back once we build out the the room for more space. It took many years, but it is nice to have both an American and British collector .
862CC1D4-53EC-4939-BC14-073C9343C744.jpeg

85A5A85D-4CB6-483A-B2A0-522D16F24EF0.jpeg
4C6E82D4-52D1-407F-94B5-8835EBB67655.jpeg

Agrandshort

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Hello, I just purchased a 1960 Triumph TR3a. My daddy had three TR3s in his lifetime. His first one was actually the "family car," carting us kids in it. That was over 50 years ago. I have been wanting one for many years, and now, this beautiful Triumph has resurrected many fond memories. I love it.View attachment 86177
Wow, love the color. Now, THAT'S a man cave.

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Silver
Country flag
Thank you, I love spending time in the mancave (converted garage) and tinkering on my old sports car. After a long week of work it is the perfect remedy. I am grateful for it.
B0D4821E-C847-45C6-BB5F-2289B9936A78.jpeg