• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata Water Pump and Timing Belt

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Two weeks ago I noticed a squeak coming from one of my belts, it was raining so I didn't think anything of it. Two days later I heard it again but this time it was dry out. Popping the hood I see that the ole Miata is dripping from the water pump.

Well, no big deal, I was planning on changing the timing belt over Christmas break because its service interval is quickly approaching, and changing the water pump while the belt is off just makes sense because it is behind the timing belt.

I drove my Jeep for the past two weeks and started working on the Miata yesterday. All is going well until I have to take the crank bolt out. I can't get room to use the impact and I can't find a way to lock the engine up so I can get it with a breaker bar. So, today I made a tool to bolt the crank down. I'm not worried about breaking anything because it is only torqued to 120lbs. I fashion a plate that mounts to the front of the crank using the pulley bolts, and to the lower A/C mount. It held the crank while I got a breaker bar on the bolt and tapped it over with a 4# sledge. It worked like a charm and now tomorrow I can actually replace the water pump and timing belt. I have once again turned a three hour job into a three day job.
1000031999.jpg

1000032000.jpg
1000032003.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A well engineered solution! And that three hour into three days thing seems to be more common as time goes on.

Another recent truth I've found with"modern" cars is: "you can either see the bolts you need to R&R, or you can touch 'em. But not both at the same time."

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Doc. As I stood there staring at it, as you do, I noticed that bolt on the A/C compressor looked to line up almost perfectly with the crank. The more I looked the more I thought I should be able to do something with it. I spent almost as much time looking for a suitable piece of scrap steel as it took me to make it. Which just goes to show you never should throw out good scrap because what will you make stuff outta when you need something custom?

Luckily for me the Miata is rather easy to work on, which is one reason I probably keep it for years to come (so I'll also be sure to hold onto my little plate for the next time I need to change the timing belt).

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Necessity's a mother, ain't she? :devilgrin:

Great job, and you can also use it to torque it back down!