• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Linux Mint 20 Upgrade

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Yesterday I upgraded my Linux laptop from Mint 20 to L Mint 20.2 and it now runs faster than my other computer with MS Windows 10s latest edition, quite pleased with the improvement. (y) Even though both HP computers are the same physically other than, the one with Linux in it has a smaller SSD and I can't load all my photos in it, so a new larger hard drive is due. No big deal but I have to keep half my photos on a stick now, which is a pain.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Yesterday I upgraded my Linux laptop from Mint 20 to L Mint 20.2 and it now runs faster than my other computer with MS Windows 10s latest edition, quite pleased with the improvement. (y) Even though both HP computers are the same physically other than, the one with Linux in it has a smaller SSD and I can't load all my photos in it, so a new larger hard drive is due. No big deal but I have to keep half my photos on a stick now, which is a pain.
Have you considered an external SSD? That's what I do to store my photos off computer.

Country flag
You can also put personal information on an external device that you can plug in or out only when you need it to minimize exposure if you do personal business from your laptop. I don't keep any identifying information on my personal machine just in case of a virus or such. Not perfect but better than having it out there 24/7

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
External SSD, great idea! Looked at a few and found a 2-TB which is half the size of a deck of cards and very reasonable in cost. Not considering the cord, it'll fit in my shirt pocket and weighs nothing. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. (y) (y)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not sure about Mint "seeing" an external drive, some Linux distros need to have the Linux equivalent of a "driver" added to the kernel. Not a big deal, just so you know, Paul. If the external drive is not recognized the first time you attach it, it's not the drive's fault. Check the "how-to" info for Mint if you have a problem at first. May require reformatting.

We use Western Digital's 2T "Passport" drives.

Country flag
I'm not running Linux, but with my external drives the drivers were installed on the drive by the factory and automatically updated the laptop the first time they were plugged in. So you may not need to do anything.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm not running Linux, but with my external drives the drivers were installed on the drive by the factory and automatically updated the laptop the first time they were plugged in. So you may not need to do anything.
It really depends on which Linux version. Microsoft and Mac O/S have recognition software to "hunt" the appropriate driver(s). Some Linux "flavors" don't. I'd suspect Mint has the kernel updates. Most of the externals are formatted FAT32 or NTFS, both of which MS "sees".

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
with my external drives the drivers were installed on the drive by the factory and automatically updated the laptop the first time they were plugged in.
The driver does not reside on an external drive from the factory. That is like getting the directions to open the safe you just bought when the directions are locked in the safe. Part of Windows bloat is a huge collection of inf files that are loaded onto your hard drive when Windows is installed. Any new hardware plugged into your computer gets a search in the inf folder first, then the search broadens to the internet.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have had an external on my Mint box since before I had Linux. Installed originally on Windose 10 and it just always worked with Mint, all 3 versions. It also supports herself's Mac and another Mint laptop. I haven't tried it with my old XP laptop yet. So should be no problem for you Paul. Mine is a WD My Cloud 4 or so years old.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There's the answer. Mint and external drives. Thanks, Bayless!

Country flag
Well, I'm a mainframe guy, which tells you when I got started..., and with my personal home machines all I know is that I plug in a new drive and it says drivers have been updated. always assumed they came from the couple folders I see on the drives themselves.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Yup, this 2TB external drive is recognized by Mint 20.2 and works perfectly. (y)