• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leg Cramps

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My wife and I donate platelets frequently. The techs at the blood place offer Tums - calcium - for relief. We took a short drive after donating and had an attack of cramps. My thinking - Calcium, dairy is a source - ice cream. worked for me.
Trevor, are you saying that Calcium/dairy products are causing your cramps or helped to stop them? PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Paul - have you tried the pickle idea?
Couldn't help but recall The Pickle Story episode.

Andy_barn_pickels.png

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - have you tried the pickle idea?
Well Tom, I ate a small slice of Kosher pickle last night, (I love Kosher pickles), didn't have any cramps last night, but that's not unusual. Be better if some roast beef, cheese, and horseradish mustard were added between a couple of slices of Italian bread! :jester:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, I would sleep better with that.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well Tom, I ate a small slice of Kosher pickle last night, (I love Kosher pickles), didn't have any cramps last night, but that's not unusual. Be better if some roast beef, cheese, and horseradish mustard were added between a couple of slices of Italian bread! :jester:
And therein lies the rub - No leg cramps but if I had that sandwich before bed I would be up all night with indigestion and acid reflux. :mad: I just love getting old. :rolleyes:

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
I like drinking Body Armor Lyte sports drink before and after working an event on concrete/asphalt or cutting the grass. It seems to help relieve my cramps. As to the tonic water, if you'll add gin and some lime, you will also prevent the possibility of scurvy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
As to the tonic water, if you'll add gin and some lime, you will also prevent the possibility of scurvy.
Most every night around here Gin O'Clock

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Ok, I have been eating a small slice of Kosher pickle before bed time for a snack, and so far no cramps! (y) Will it last, don't know, but good excuse to raid the fridge now and then! :jester:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Never stretch your legs with your foot/toes pointed down. Make sure your toes/feet are pronated towards your head when you stretch. Only thing I found prevents cramps.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Never stretch your legs with your foot/toes pointed down. Make sure your toes/feet are pronated towards your head when you stretch. Only thing I found prevents cramps.
That's exactly the technique I learned too. In fact, when I get a calve cramp, I find the best relief is when I pull my foot back towards by shin. Counterintuative, but it works.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well Tom, I haven't had any cramps while using the pickle method, but for a test, I stopped for two nights and the second night I had the cramps starting back in my feet! I started eating a piece of pickle again before bed time and no more cramps to date! (y) Naturally I can't say it'll work for everyone, but so far it works for me. I'm not one for taking medications, never was, so any natural method that helps is how I look at it. I know some folks will think this is a joke, but crazy as it sounds, it works!! :cheers:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
All I can say is, it seems to work for me and I could care less what the experts have to say about it! And so far, :winner1::arms:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
One thing that helps (me) during an attack (if it's the calf muscle) is grab your toes and pull your foot backwards towards your shin, or stretch your leg as straight as possible and move your foot back towards the shin as much as possible, like your trying to touch your shin with your toes. I've found this helps the cramp subside more quickly.
I have used Basils method when this happens to me. But I don't try to grab my toes. During the cramping that might seem impossible. But I use my leg muscles to force my toes to point towards my chest and hold it that way till the cramp goes away. It's a form of stretching the leg muscles out to try to counter out the cramp. It seems that preliminary stretching before bed, although good, doesn't necessarily reduce cramps.