Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm going to try my hand at this and get one or the other from Eastwood. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Much more bang for the buck with the leaded solder kits.
Thanks for the TSB. Johnson seems to like it alot. Anyone have any experience using either one? Having used plenty of plastic in the spare tire compartment and the body tub, I'd prefer to "lead" the external rust repairs.
I have not tried it for body work, but I found lead-free to be significantly harder to work with in plumbing applications. You can make a good joint with it, but the copper has to be very clean and the lead-free solder doesn't seem to wick into the joint or spread as easily as the old lead/tin did.
And, lead-free takes a whacking amount more of heat...and, it's brittle when done. That is why Aerospace (and NASA) have an exemption (or did) from mandated use of lead-free solders.
I won't use the stuff.
Just my opinion.... I found lead repair harder than it looks, and that was with bars of the real thing. (I came across a few old bars of body lead in a forgotten box) I tried to level out a small ding around the scuttle vent on the 57. I watched a bunch of internet videos on how it's done but still couldn't get acceptable results. Even when I could get the temperature right to paddle it out I was not comfortable that the 'tinning' under the leaded area was 100%. The final smoothing now is just Featherlite on that spot, and Metal to Metal (from Eastwood) on a few other places on the car where a really hard material seemed needed.
My neighbor taught himself how to do it for his 41 Lincoln.....not easy at all. My Jag used it to smooth seams and overlaps, and it always fails (MK2's, worse spot always seems to be upper LH corner of grille). Jag restorer's tell me when you strip the paint, use a torch, melt it all out and use spot filler.
I have done a few lead repairs on various cars. It does require patience and I have only used body solder with lead. I reserve the use for areas where the repair needs to flex a bit. In most locations I just use plastic filler.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.