Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
For just 45,000 pounds sterling you can own the Triumph Fury prototype from Michelotti. It's the GT6 engine in a Spitfire sized (slightly bigger) 2 seat convertible. Check out the link. Maybe someone on the board can bring it to the States? https://hurstpark.co.uk/fury.htm
Wow, neat pictures. Its a pity they didn't put that car on the market. I'm surprised by how much room there is in the engine bay, the engine looks like its at least 6" forward of the bulkhead. Also a couple of bits I've not seen before on the straight six - looks like a crankcase breather near the fuel pump similar to the TR3 block, also I wonder if the vacuum takeoff on the manifold is for power assist brakes, or maybe those front lights were vacuum operated? And is that an alternator setup?
Yup... those are struts up front. The rear was trailing arms.
I also remember reading that this was a unibody design... not a seperate frame and chassis. Would have been a first for a Triumph roadster. There were even proposals to put a V8 in there... which I'm guessing would have been the "Stag" 8 that was in development at the time.
The Fury was a design exercise to get Triumph something more "modern" to battle the on-slaught of sports cars coming out of Italy, (then) competitor MG and even Japan in the mid '60s.
I guarantee that you could drive that car in this country for 1 hour, and some guy would walk up and say, "My brother had one of those. He didn't like it."
Yup... those are struts up front. The rear was trailing arms.
I also remember reading that this was a unibody design... not a seperate frame and chassis. Would have been a first for a Triumph roadster. There were even proposals to put a V8 in there... which I'm guessing would have been the "Stag" 8 that was in development at the time.
The Fury was a design exercise to get Triumph something more "modern" to battle the on-slaught of sports cars coming out of Italy, (then) competitor MG and even Japan in the mid '60s.
I seem to recall there was more than one of these made in the article I read, but that this one may be the last survivor. Anyone here have connections to Nigel at TSSC UK to to a little checking in their archives?
Probably because it's really nothing more that a "Special". No history, no reputation, no nothing. And for what it has, I think 45,000GBP, or $73,000 approx, is plenty.
The big thing is that it's totally usable, unlike most prototypes, and was actually wholly designed (in terms of appearance) by Michelotti himself. There may have only been one fully registered and road legal example, this one. I seem to recall reading and seeing pics of a white one. In terms of history, it was driven quite a bit for research to see if it would be worth producing. Like I said before, Triumph wasn't thrilled by the idea of a smaller engined car being faster than their big TRs. I think Piggot mentions that in one of his books.
I have heard a similar sentiment quoted as at least one reason why there was never a six-cylinder Spitfire, aka GT6 convertible!
Meanwhile, it's interesting to note that variations of that "Kamm-back" tail later made it to almost all Triumphs, both sports and saloon cars. And a very similar front end treatment, including the hideaway headlamps, almost made it to the Spitfire/GT6. Supposedly, though, the idea was nixed in part due to impending US Federal regulations.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.