• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting souvenier

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Long story short, a good friend's father is a car guy. My friend is cleaning out the family home after 30 years as his parents have gone into a care facility. We dropped by today for moral support and while almost everything is going to auction, he gave me this (permanent loan) and it is real. Looks great on top of a bookcase in my office.

PS we came home determined not to do 'that' to our children, O my heavens. :oops:

1627176140936.png

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Very nice.

What did he do with the rest of the car?

David
good question. :smile: don't know that he ever had a roller - though he arranged for a silver ghost one to be donated to a local museum. He had a Bentley of great importance (may have been a blower) and recently sold his Packard. There is still a Lasalle in the garage - a whole different class of collector than me. :D

1627178529231.png

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Wow, that's great Walter! You don't see many of those at yard sales! :devilgrin:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's an amazing souvenir. A Packard, a Bentley, and a Silver Ghost, it sounds like he was a man of refined tastes.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
OOPs! Sorry JP! :winner1:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
:lol2: :jester:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just because there is nothing quite like hijacking your own thread - when I went to find the Airplane! clip the very next video was this one. Airplane! is not a movie I watch over and over but I have seen it (or parts of it) enough times - always thought it was a spoof but didn't realize the connection to the movie Zero Hour (which I had never heard of)

Country flag
A lot of comedy, regardless of the actors or intent, that was made years or decades ago wouldn't be made today. While I applaud inclusion too many have lost the point of satire and poking a bit of fun at absurd situations. They can't close the barn door, that horse is already out, but they can stop breeding the horses..

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - many of the young folks I work with watch a 60s or 70s comedy scene I show them, look at me, and say what's so funny? Their idea of comedy seems to be strangers getting hurt, or AFV garbage. Ever notice how those stupid AFV "accidents" are caught on video? hmmm

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hold my beer and watch this.

Country flag
I rarely see AFV type stuff, despite there being two over the air channels here pretty much dedicated to nearly always young men doing dumb stuff. That I don't usually find funny, but to each their own I guess.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I have the hood badge of a Standard Vanguard Phase 1 on my bookshelf, I had to pay $5 for it 20 years ago at an automotive swap meet... Alright, not exactly in the same class as a Rolls-Royce... :rolleyes:

One friend of mine here in Calgary owns part of a Citroen DS, someone here was giving away a DS bumper for free so he "purchased" it :encouragement:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Comedy is hard to pin down.

I remember when I first got to the US people would tell me how much they enjoyed the Benny Hill and insist I watched it with them because it was British Humor.
Benny Hill had run his course in England about 25 years before he got to the States and was too predictable for the UK audience. We were into the John Cleese type comedians.

David