• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Inspecting kingpins

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What should I be looking for as I inspect the kingpins on my B? They're currently off the car. I've got new poly bushings for the upper and lower pivots/trunnions, but unsure what to look at on the kingpin itself.

I didn't notice any issues when driving the car, and am tempted to just clean them up, regrease, and put them back on -- but if there's a wear check I can do now's the time.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wash 'em "squeaky-clean" and carefully re-assemble without grease to check for any "wobble" between pin and carrier at both bushings. Should be none to very slight. Most I've seen will have the most wear at the "straight ahead" position of the pins. Looking through the carrier with the pin out, if you can visually see any ovality of either bushing, time to R&R them. That would be an extreme case, though.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks Doc. I'll dig in a bit later this week and likely be back with more questions.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Was able to spend some time in the shop today, and I've got rebuilding or replacing the kingpins in my future.

The left side actually seems fine, no play I can see (before cleaning) but the right side does have small but notable play. So now I'm pondering if I will rebuild them, find some local that can do that (including reaming the new bushings) or just get a rebuilt set from Moss and swap them for the core refund.

Somewhat dependent on if I can get the RH side steering arm detached. LH side came off with a little PB Blaster, torch, and an impact gun, but the RH side is being much more stubborn. Currently soaking it in some PB to see if that'll help.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
If you mean tie rod end in American you need to loosen the nut but don’t remove. Take a large hammer and strike the cast iron bit that the rod attaches to.
I would not recommend using heat.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not the tie rod end, the steering arm that is attached with 2 bolts to the swivel axle.

#20 on this Moss diagram:
> Front Suspension <

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Use the Weasel Pee ( 50/50 acetone & ATF) for penetrant, Drew. liberal and repeated treatment.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I admit I'm also considering just buying a RH steering lever/arm off eBay. :D

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Was able to spend some time in the shop today, and I've got rebuilding or replacing the kingpins in my future.

The left side actually seems fine, no play I can see (before cleaning) but the right side does have small but notable play. So now I'm pondering if I will rebuild them, find some local that can do that (including reaming the new bushings) or just get a rebuilt set from Moss and swap them for the core refund.

Somewhat dependent on if I can get the RH side steering arm detached. LH side came off with a little PB Blaster, torch, and an impact gun, but the RH side is being much more stubborn. Currently soaking it in some PB to see if that'll help.

Another possibility is see if you can find someone with an inductive bolt heater - I just bought one a couple days ago (received it on Friday) so havn't had the chance to play with it yet; but all the video references I see looked good enough to warrant buying the tool.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Never heard of that, sounds interesting. If you have a chance to play with it, let us know how it goes.

I did find a RH steering lever on eBay cheap enough so bought it just in case I can't get the darn thing separated. Gives me an option at least. Going to contact Moss tomorrow to try an understand the difference between their new spindle assemblies and the rebuilt ones they offer. Price is fundamentally the same, so curious why they offer both.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Never heard of that, sounds interesting. If you have a chance to play with it, let us know how it goes.

I did find a RH steering lever on eBay cheap enough so bought it just in case I can't get the darn thing separated. Gives me an option at least. Going to contact Moss tomorrow to try an understand the difference between their new spindle assemblies and the rebuilt ones they offer. Price is fundamentally the same, so curious why they offer both.

This is someone else's video with the same tool showing what it does - actual demonstration is about 8-9 minutes in....

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Haven't had a chance to get back to the project this week, but I did get a new steering arm/lever from eBay today. So I'm covered even if I can't get the lever off.

Also had a great conversation with a sales rep with Moss. They offer new swivel assemblies and rebuilt ones for roughly the same cost after core charge, and the rep and I talked it through and he recommended I go for the rebuilt ones. He was knowledgeable and helpful, well done. Will get that ordered later tonight, just don't have time to try and rebuild mine so this will get me on the road quicker.

[update] rebuilt swivel assemblies are ordered.

Last edited:
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Rebuilt swivel assemblies have come in, but of course I'm now short on free time for a couple weeks so I'll have to sit on them for a little while. Still, nice to have all the parts in hand now.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rebuilt swivel assemblies have come in, but of course I'm now short on free time for a couple weeks so I'll have to sit on them for a little while. Still, nice to have all the parts in hand now.
Once again I'll mention BOFH... knowin' priorities are a, ummm... bee-atch. :devilgrin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Once again I'll mention BOFH... knowin' priorities are a, ummm... bee-atch. :devilgrin:
Yes indeed. End of the school year and I have a couple key staff members either out or left. My favorite saying now is "like kidney stones, this too shall pass." :cryin: