• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Idling

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Morning folks:
re: 74 TR6
Have an unusual problem with choke and idling. Car starts fine with choke out. When it warms up and choke is in, it will either idle steady at about 1400 rpm or it will idle down to a stall. If the car is in the mood to idle down, I have to keep the choke about 1/2 way out to keep the idle higher. On any given day, I don't know which way it's going to go. Oil is in the carbs, gas is fresh, and otherwise, the engine is running fine.
Any advice is certainly appreciated.
Thanks,
Will

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Sounds to me like something is simply sticking. Maybe the air-control piston in the carb or the throttle plates. Air leakage around the throttle-shaft bushings is another possibility.

Is this just a problem with idle? Does it run OK once you start moving?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Has the throttle bypass valve, especially it's diaphragm, been checked since this started ?
And,how long has this been going on....all of a sudden or something that's been going on for as long as you've had the car ?

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Runs ok when moving.
Been doing this since I had the car. File shows the carbs were rebuilt 12 years ago but the car has been sitting with minimal usage. Have cleaned outside of carbs and oiled key places. Have not checked throttle bypass valve/diaphragm. Wonder if simply taking the carbs apart and soaking them in cleaner/solvent would possibly resolve this. Thx for all of your quick responses.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Will Andy here. Diaphragm first to check look for vacuum leak at shafts spray carb cleaner around carbs at what ever idle and see if that makes a change. Also what does the RPM do when you remove oil fill cap on Valve cover

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Probably time to face the facts....there are 12 year old components in those carbs that need replacement and proper adjustments...not just making fruitless efforts to compensate for that fact.
In my opinion all an A/F meter is good for otherwise is showing the limitations of the carb to deal with ALL situations you'll encounter during normal driving conditions

Last edited:
OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Thx guys. Guess I’ll pull them and see if there are any dead bodies stuck somewhere. Have not cleaned or rebuilt a Stromberg before. Always a first time. Thx all.
Will

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Probably a good decision. If you’re going to do this yourself, do one at a time so you have the other carburetor to refer to. The other alternative is is to let Poolboy (Ken) work his magic on them. He’s widely regarded as the ZS expert in the North American TR scene. NFI.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Ken -
Just pulled the carbs and was looking at the kits on Moss. Everyone from 2 forums say that you are truly the yoda master of carbs and to check with you. Will send you an email.
Will

Bean

Freshman Member
Has the throttle bypass valve, especially it's diaphragm, been checked since this started ?
And,how long has this been going on....all of a sudden or something that's been going on for as long as you've had the car ?
Sorry if this catches you at a bad time,have a problem with the stock carbs1973 tr6 ,fuel is coming out of the bronze vent on both carbs just rebuilt cars had the same problem,went with the gross jets this time,help please you can reach me at minibean@comcast.net thanks for your time

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If I were having that problem I would remove the grose jets and replace them with the original style needle valves.
I'd also make sure the floats were still buoyant and that their brackets were solidly secured to the carb rivets