• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Humming Birds

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Partially opened one garage door this morning as it was raining, after it stopped raining for a while I went out to open it more and found 7 hummingbirds in the garage! It's the most I've ever seen here in one group. I opened both doors fully to let them out. I actually have a feeder in the garage, plus others under the porch roof, to pull them down from the ceiling and the feeder gets them to fly out the door openings. 7 of the little critters! Love watching them. (y) :thumbsup2:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Amazing. Never seen that many at one time.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I never have either and they will fly under a partially open door, but won't fly low enough to fly back out, so, I open both doors fully, and eventually they'll leave. I've had a couple trapped in the garage and had to use a special net to get them out, without injuring them, their so fragile.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm always fascinated when one will come up to me, hovering about 2 ft away and we just look at each other. I usually say "Hi" but they don't speak back.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
been trying to entice them for three years so far - no luck - I don't think we have enough flowers even though we have feeders

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
We have a few here (NC) too. I saw video on TV last night of a hummer hovering around a man's face, making contact. First year we had our shop building up a hummer kept flying in thru the big doors. I had to hand catch it to get it out. I assumed that the building was in a path the bird had established and it flew in out of habit.

Bob

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We keep several feeders full all summer. Some days there are a lot and other days very few. Must be visiting the neighbors feeders.

We only put sugar and water in the feeder No Red Dye needed to attract them.

David

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Some years we have swarms of Hummers, other years, just a few. This year has been one of those "few" years.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We also use only sugar and water after reading an article saying the dye in some mixes isn't needed and some can actually harm them. They are attracted by the colorful "flower" on the feeder more than anything else. We've had more this year than ever before. (y)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I used to put a feeder up in hipped off attracting some but never did. Now I just put out seed for the cardinals, Robins, and whatnot.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
In β€œhipped off”…
9FD71474-5586-4D61-879F-C217B9459DC7.jpeg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Darned autocorrect. I put it up in hopes of attracting humming birds. Now I'm going to hip off to bed.