• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How much for oil change?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have all the tools, jack, stands, drain pan but I just don't want to do it.
Paid $70 to get my Subaru done 2 years ago and didn't mind too much.
But I have to check their work afterwards.
They wouldn't change the air filter......too much work.
I eventually checked it and deemed it OK.
agreed - happy enough to do it on the Midget not really interested on the dailys. (also as someone who had to have a Passat engine replaced due to oil sludge it was my oil change receipts that saved me)

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I had a recent shock as well on the daily driver. But then I did the math... parts alone - using OEM - was $50. Plus half hour labor and sales tax - not quite $100, but darn near.

Having said that:
1. Using decent aftermarket parts, I could probably have done it for $30-40.
2. I am a sucker for OE / OE-equivalent, and I am paying the premium for the star-shaped thingie on the front of the car - never mind the mileage and the age.
3. Which brings me to the conclusion, brand matters. Chevy/Ford/etc. have a good base of DIY owners that drive high-quality aftermarket competition and associated good pricing. MB on the other hand... I won't buy a newer one again. Parts are stupid expensive, and the difference vs. a run-of-the mill car is simply not there. (But the price was right... three year old R-class, 6k miles, 50% of new price.... wife said "no" to a minivan... here we are! Car has been wonderful, except the parts costs.)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've friends who are MB specific, independent shopowners, now teaching a third-generation (all family) the MB "ropes". Often we've talked about the specifics of modern Benz units and associated cost of parts. Another thing is the diagnostic equipment required to suss out and fix the things. I've set up a laptop for them to run Linux, specifically to interface with the cars, running proprietary programs, also expensive.

Our diesel had a "cheap" first owner, had the alternator replaced at some point and whoever did it "modified" bracketing and used some domestic unit. It was a true shade-tree cock-up. When that unit failed a few years later, I decided it should have the correct alternator and associated brackets and such. Those few bits cost more than the rebuilt alternator!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had a recent shock as well on the daily driver. But then I did the math... parts alone - using OEM - was $50. Plus half hour labor and sales tax - not quite $100, but darn near.

Having said that:
1. Using decent aftermarket parts, I could probably have done it for $30-40.
2. I am a sucker for OE / OE-equivalent, and I am paying the premium for the star-shaped thingie on the front of the car - never mind the mileage and the age.
3. Which brings me to the conclusion, brand matters. Chevy/Ford/etc. have a good base of DIY owners that drive high-quality aftermarket competition and associated good pricing. MB on the other hand... I won't buy a newer one again. Parts are stupid expensive, and the difference vs. a run-of-the mill car is simply not there. (But the price was right... three year old R-class, 6k miles, 50% of new price.... wife said "no" to a minivan... here we are! Car has been wonderful, except the parts costs.)
Having a parts account with MB helps a lot. Back when we still drove a few Mercedes my dad always kept an open parts account with Park Place MB down in Dallas. It made life so much easier anytime we had to order anything.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Having a parts account with MB helps a lot. Back when we still drove a few Mercedes my dad always kept an open parts account with Park Place MB down in Dallas. It made life so much easier anytime we had to order anything.
Good to know, thank you!

This may come in even more handy should I realize my eventual dream to get a summer daily old Mercedes.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
That's the Honda CRV 1.5 Turbo engine. Recognized it by the 3.7Quart capacity with filter. Yes. When changing the oil the 0W 20 flows out like water and spatters. Now oil droplets can be found on my garage floor beyond the catch pan and piece of cardboard intended to protect it! I hate 0W 20! Paid about $30 for filter and good synthetic but would gladly pay someone to do the messy job next time. $100 maybe?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's the Honda CRV 1.5 Turbo engine. Recognized it by the 3.7Quart capacity with filter. Yes. When changing the oil the 0W 20 flows out like water and spatters. Now oil droplets can be found on my garage floor beyond the catch pan and piece of cardboard intended to protect it! I hate 0W 20! Paid about $30 for filter and good synthetic but would gladly pay someone to do the messy job next time. $100 maybe?
My Mazda 3 and my wifeโ€™s RAV4 both use 0-20W oil. Iโ€™ve never had a problem with splatter. Position the pan, open the plug and drain. The only oil I may have to clean off of the floor is the oil that comes off my gloves.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Saab uses 0W20 but the filter is hard to get to and requires a fairly special 36mm socket so, not trusting the quick change places, I do it myself. The explorer, I leave to others although that now seems silly. I can get under it without even jacking it up and to old dino 10W30 is pretty cheap. The Prefect, Beetle and soon (I hope anyway) to be Sprite get my hands only.

Last edited:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I only farm out the Acura because the front overhang is too long to allow me to use the ramps. The other three I do.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Donโ€™t forget to replace the cabin filter for another 75$.
Just replaced the cabin filter in Wife's Z4. Could not find one in stock at any of the regular parts stores, so called the dealer. They wanted $82! :scared:
Ended up called NAPA and they ordered one with next day delivery for $14.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just replaced the cabin filter in Wife's Z4. Could not find one in stock at any of the regular parts stores, so called the dealer. They wanted $82! :scared:
Rockauto is where I get my cabin filters. Mine was about $13. Dealer wanted $65 to install a new one.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag

I get a lot of parts from Rockauto. Dealer is only a last resort.
I may have mentioned this before; getbmwparts.com is a โ€œdiscountโ€ dealership for OEM BMW parts. Iโ€™m not sure what vintage Z4 you have, but I found a cabin filter for $32 for a 2014 Z4. Still much more than $14, but way better than 82!