• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

High-Pitched Noise

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
( '66 AH3000, MkIII, BJ8, Phase2) When I get up to around 2,600 rpms I get a high whistle sound that appears ?? to be coming from the engine area (although could possibly be coming from the transmission (hope not). So, to further test this situation, I stayed in neutral and went to 2,600 and sound still there. Then, I put in gear but applied to clutch and went to 2,600 and still have the sound. Dont know if it is the generator, fuel pump or ??. Any thoughts? Suggested additional testing? Thanks for your thoughts to come.

Country flag
Does it whistle "God Save the Queen?"

JK. Does it go away above 2,600 RPM? If it doesn't occur in neutral it's not likely--though not impossible--it's from the gearbox; gearboxes usually whine (normal--to a point) or make a grinding/grating noise (not good). A 'whistle' could be a belt slipping, water pump bearing going, intake/vacuum leak--does it run OK?--or something weird. I've had whistling noises come and go from my BJ8 without ever figuring out what caused them.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I could be fan belt to tight, loosen to take the load off the water pump and Gen / Alt and rub a bar of soap on belt or candle wax. and spray some carb cleaner on manifold it could also be a vac leak

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You say that, in neutral, you went to 2600rpm and the sound was still there. Have you tried revving it with the hood up in the driveway so you can move around and try to locate where it's coming from? Belt slipping would be my first guess & I would try tightening the belt to see if that affects it.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Go to the same RPM's, put it in neutral, turn off the ignition and report back.

BN6_L1232

Country flag
( '66 AH3000, MkIII, BJ8, Phase2) When I get up to around 2,600 rpms I get a high whistle sound that appears ?? to be coming from the engine area (although could possibly be coming from the transmission (hope not). So, to further test this situation, I stayed in neutral and went to 2,600 and sound still there. Then, I put in gear but applied to clutch and went to 2,600 and still have the sound. Dont know if it is the generator, fuel pump or ??. Any thoughts? Suggested additional testing? Thanks for your thoughts to come.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Going to a British Car Mechanic in my area (Brevard NC) on Monday. He said he will check it out but busy until Jan if something needs fixing. Will report back and thanks for the helpful feedback. When I talk with him, I will sound like I know what I am doing, not.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Could the whistle be electrical rather than mechanical? For example - radio and interference? Then again, this could be a manifold leak.
Visited greater Asheville, NC this September and really liked Brevard. Idyllic roads are just perfect for the Healey.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Laws--

Did you ever do what I suggested--turning off the engine with car in neutral when at about the same mph as when the problem appeared?
This would take the engine and parts of the transmission out of the equation.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Problem solved! Master mechanic Gary Nye, Brevard North Carolina listened to the noise and immediately knew that the fan belt was too loose. He loosened four nuts on the generator, leveraged the generator and moved it out1/2”, tighten the bolts and in 10 minutes the noise was gone. Thank you all for your input which was very helpful.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I installed a Balmar Belt Buddy--an adjustment arm with adjustment done via an easily-reached bolt. It eliminates the need to apply "leverage" on the generator/alternator which usually takes three hands and tends to push it out of alignment. The BB makes tightening the belt a piece of cake. The adjustment arm and bolt are the blue anodized pieces in the attached shot.

Attachments

• adjuster.jpeg
    adjuster.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 96