Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I know it attaches to the tail section of the transmission. I do not see it listed in parts illustrations. I do not know when it was used, or for which models. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
It is a weight (obviously) that attaches to the tailshaft of the gearbox for TR3s & TR4s (possibly others).
I always supposed it was there to dampen some vibration that can set-up in that area.
My non-OD boxes had them... when I put an OD in the TR4 I re-installed this dampener though I am not sure if the heavier OD unit/tailshaft really needed it.
The one in my parts box came from a TR4 with OD, so the factory apparently used them there.
What I've heard is that it was part of various attempts to eliminate 'buzzing' of the gearshift knob at certain speeds/rpm; which became much more noticeable with the longer TR4 shift lever (and perhaps the slightly longer 4 synchro gearbox). The brace to the shift extension was supposedly added for the same reason.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.