• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello.

Chancybc

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good day forum members. My name is Lorne and I am a brand new member. I live in a small city outside of Vancouver, B.C., Canada and have purchased my first British Car. Well, sort of. For a 1966 solid axle TR4A, I have accumulated 3 frames, a tub, all the running gear and pretty much one or two of everything else (I hope) I need to make at least one car. While I have been a British motorcycle rider (and fixer) for 30 years, this will be my first car restoration so I know I am well over my head. However, one foot in front of the other and away I go, with average welding skills but plenty of tools, patience, eagerness to learn, and the next 2 months off work so I can dedicate considerable time - but very little addition money -- to make some good progress in the coming weeks. How did I get here? I have always wanted a 4A so while opportunities to buy 6s or 7s have been frequent, they were never tempting. After recently selling my last motorcycle rebuild, I had some cash and was looking to start on a new project so I decided to give this one a shot. Once you have stopped laughing, feel free to read on as I won't be insulted and welcome all the help and advice I can get. Where am I at now? Thanks for asking. Since the body was already off (only partially braced but at least solidly on a stand), I started by stripping the rolling chassis down to the frame#1 to correct what looked to be some minor frame issues. Unfortunately, I discovered the front end was badly twisted, had multiple very poor weld repairs on and around the shock towers and related mounts as well as additional unrepaired cracks. I have some restoration manuals as well as the original workshop manual. I have already also read and/or watched every video I could find about repairing and strengthening these areas (and these frames in general), but I think frame #1 is so far gone in so many ways that trying to straighten it would leave me chasing one misalignment after another. Frame #2 is better, but still has some twist and misalignment (I have the TR4A spec sheets with the measurements). That is where frame #3 comes in. Unlike the others, it is a from a TR6 (1974) so it has a much stronger front end. It is also perfectly straight, with no indication of any hits or bends. Unfortunately, everything from the trailing arms back is in really bad shape and would require significant repairs. Accordingly, I am thinking of making a hybrid from the rear of frame 1 (which is excellent) and the front of frame 3. My thought was to take the front, including the entire outer frame section front of the car to the trailing arm, but keep the inner frame section and everything else from frame 1. One trailing arm has minor rust but I have a new one to replace it. That way I get the best from both cars and even have the proper transmission and differential mounts. I know that someone posted a forum piece about this sort of combining frames in the past, but I am hoping to get any updated advice or information possible. Thanks in advance. Lorne.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Lorne

Welcome to the forum.

You have an interesting mix of problems with your frames.
You need to post that question in the Triumph section to get some good advice. Who knows it may have been done before.
The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice there for your project.

David

OP
C

Chancybc

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello Lorne

Welcome to the forum.

You have an interesting mix of problems with your frames.
You need to post that question in the Triumph section to get some good advice. Who knows it may have been done before.
The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice there for your project.

David
Thanks David. I will re-post it tomorrow.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome Lorne, sounds like a very well thought out project. I am sure you will find lots of support and advice here. I don't know about Triumph's in general but, it seems like, having gone that far in terms of hybrid cars that a more current drivetrain - especially with a 5 speed might be just the ticket. Either way, good luck and welcome!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF, Lorne and good luck on your "FrankenTriumph" ;)

Be sure to pop in to our Triumph forum here where I'm sure you will feel right at home.