Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
If you’re running 14 to 1 C/R you should be using more than your standard studs and nuts. I would recommend ARP with that much compression. It’s obviously your running this engine on the track, to much C/R for the street.
When I'm using ARP head studs, I pull to 50lb-ft with just a little motor oil on the threads. Same for "drill points" or "22's". Be sure to use good washers and nuts. If using roller rockers, might need to narrow the washers and nuts a little to clear the edge of rocker body.
I toss the stock 948 or 1098 studs or shorten them down to 3/4" above the coarse end and use them for a top clutch slave cylinder locating "peg". I use only the bottom bolt on the slave.
If you use the ARP studs, tighten them according to the manufacturer's recommendations. They give you very detailed information on this. Their procedure is based on keeping the stud comfortably within its elastic region, so fatigue is minimal. Making them tighter won't help anything, and is more likely to weaken them.
At the race track, I doubt it is 14 to 1 on the street, I guessing a race car. And 14 to 1 in a 1098 takes domed pistons to there. Mike is spot on with the 50 foot pounds.
Ah Jack for a 948 race engine, that would be consider low compression ratio, the norm for the fast SCCA guys was 16 to 1, and is advisable not to stand too close to them when running , so you don't get hit the face with part of the crankshaft
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.