Hap Waldrop
Yoda
Offline
Sometimes you get a shop where guys are opened minded, I am as well if I feel the person giving the advice knows what they are talking about, but often times you get advice from folks who have never did the job. I sell engine rebuild kit for MG motors, using the same quailty parts I use in my rebuilds. Anyway I sold a MGB 5 main engine rebuld kit to a guy in Alabama and he was letting a machine shop/engine rebuilder build his engine, the guy was very expereicne engine builder, but not a MGb engine builder, but these engines are pretty basic, but there's always a few tricks/booby traps to know about with any given engine. The guy at the machine shop called me, he needed some additional parts that the owner did not order, and I ask him if he had any questions on the rebuilding of a MGB motor, he was somewhat put off by this, but I was only offering to help, but he did ask me if there was anything I could add, and I told him about the Payen bottom end gasket set having both a 3 main and 5 main oil pump gaskets in the 5 main set, I told him there was no reason for the 3 main gasket to be there, and over the years it had goofed quite a few folks up, and if the 3 main gasket was used on this 5 main engine, he would get any oil pressure. He ask me how he could tell the difference and I told him I had a picture on my computer file I could sent him that show the two gaskets and which one was needed on the 5 main engines. The next day I got a call back from the engine builder, he was very thankful for the picture I has sent him and sure enough he had the wrong oil pump gasket on the block. Bottom line , no matter how good we are or think we are, we can always learn, I find this profession to be a ongoing education, but the better you get at it, the less people you have to ask questions to, but for sure we can all learn.
Hey Guest!