• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hand tools

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
All of us car nuts aspire to a set of Snap-On tools for our garage, but I'd like to make you aware of an alternative. I work in industrial distribution (for the time being, but that is another story) and other than these being lines that I sell (in Wisconsin only), I have no connection with the manufacturers. You can save a considerable amount of money by purchasing these alternatives.

1. Facom.......... These tools are gorgeous! Griots Garage sells them through their catalogue, but you can buy them independently. Find a distributor in your area that sells SK tools. Facom owns SK, and you can often order the tools this way. Quality is great, lifetime warranty, they even look wonderful. Expensive, but the best.

2. Armstrong...... Whereas Snap-On focused on the automotive market, Armstrong went for the industrial maintenance and repairs. Prices are a fraction of what you will pay for Snap-On (similar to Sears Craftsman, in fact) but the quality is on a par, together with the selection. Allen (of the Allen wrench fame) is a sister company of Armstrong. www.danaher.com will give you more information, but any industrial distributor worthy of the name should be able to give you an up-to-date catalogue and pricing up to around 40-50% off list price. Try getting that from the guy on the Snap-On truck. Incidentally, Mac Tools is also a sister company, same products, different names on the handles, much lower prices. Lifetime warranty.

3. Cooper Tools..... Not a name that many are familiar with, but Vice-Grip is a brand name of theirs, and we all know vise-grips. They manufacture these tools for Snap-On, so by going with the original manufacturer, you will save money. They also produce a stunning range of electrical diagnostic tools. www.coopertools.com

4. Kennedy......Tool cabinets. Better than Sears, (MUCH better) but pricing in the same league. Similar in quality to the Matco, Mac or Snap-On cabinets but without the need for a second mortgage. www.kennedymfg.com for information.

I could go on........ Some industrial distributors will not sell to the public, it is best to ask. Go for the smaller independent distributor who is likely to sell to you over the will-call counter, avoid Grainger, MSC, and the like. Any questions give me a shout, I'll be happy to help you find a scource.

Steve
cheers.gif

Charles #677556

Originally posted by Steve:
[QB]All of us car nuts aspire to a set of Snap-On tools for our garage, but I'd like to make you aware of an alternative. I work in industrial distribution (for the time being, but that is another story) and other than these being lines that I sell (in Wisconsin only), I have no connection with the manufacturers. You can save a considerable amount of money by purchasing these alternatives.

Steve;
A couple of other "lines" of automotive related tools that are within the realm or realistic prices, and often overlooked but still have very high quality are: S-K Wayne, Blackhawk and Thorston (sp?).. these generally sell at or less that Craftsman and off the same "Lifetime guarantee" as to Sears, Snap-On, Mac, etc.
My Dad gave me a little 3/8 drive S-K Wayne tool set for Christmas back in the early '60's, I have used those tools professionally for over thirty years and still use them on a near daily basis.. I also have, and use, my Dad's S-K Wayne 1/2 drive set.. he bought them used in the mid 40's.. I still use them as well.. And, of course, I have a lot of Snap-On tools, including an Anal-O-Scope, gas analyzer, Vac/Pressure gauge, Alt-Gen-Reg tester and Volt/Ohm meter, all under the four foot wide "hood" made for this set.
Charles #677556

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I inherited a bunch of Snap-On, SK, and Mac tools from my father and using them spoiled me for anything else. My solution has been to carry a list of stuff I need in my wallet and look for used Snap-On tools at second-hand shops, flea markets, and the like. Many of them have boxes of wrenches & sockets and, if you look, you'll often find good stuff in with the junk for not much money. I'd rather buy used Snap-On tools than most other brands new.

John C

kenny

Freshman Member
Hi guys,
All these hand tools are just dreams for most of us here in South Africa,specialy at 13 RAND to the Dollar plus import duties.
We have a snapon agent who drives around in a inclosed truck with all his tools in it.
He passes by every friday but cannot aford much,have there leed lamp which the switch has broken allreddy,also have odds and sods from my dads days but that all.
Envy you guys who can aford good tools
cryin.gif