• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Greetings from Jenn (aka MG_Girl)

MG_Girl

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm a newbie to classic cars and to owning an MG. I'm in Bethesda, Maryland.

How I got into this... Waaaaay back when I was in high school a family friend was known to me as "the car guy". He always had a classic car and back then it was MGs. Fast forward to now, still in touch with this "car guy" who recently had a custom classic Porsche made. I've always been in love with cars and learned a lot about driving in general from him and was proud at age 16 the day I got my driver's license and told him I was learning to drive a manual drive car. He was definitely the main person involved with my love affair with cars and driving in general.

This year I turn 50! My husband agreed to let me buy my first classic and that "car guy" helped me find a good one! This '77 MGB. I really wanted a 60's MG or an Austin Healy but he guided me toward the best fit for my first car. We decided if after living the reality of having a classic car was working for me I'd invest bigger in a 60s car. I waxed on about learning to change the oil myself and doing the work myself. BUT... after getting the car looked over by a local British Car mechanic and saw all he did to get her purring perfectly - and witnessing all the things done wrong on the car by DIYers - I've decided to let the pros fix/maintain her and I'll enjoy driving her! ;)

The car came with those fabulous rims (and the same rim on the full-sized spare). All the tonneau covers are pristine to the point of being nearly impossible to stretch out and put on properly (even after hours in the sun) and had these nifty little leather, padded sleeves for them as wells as one especially for the tonneau bar. Looking forward to learning from some of you more seasoned owners.

Here are some issues with the car that I plan to address soon (this fall maybe):
- Mechanic warned me the carburretor will have to be replaced soon-ish but I'm OK for now.
- Sooner than later I need to figure out what to do about the smaller dings that have a tiny bit of rust showing.
- Someone clearly tried to force the trunk closed with the brace/support still up and has that tell-tale bend/dent
- "Crack of Doom" by the driver's side mirror
- multiple dents on the hood from people closing the hood wrong.
- Interior is original and filthy. If I can't find a way to clean the interior to my liking considering replacing it all (still not sure).
- Steering wheel is either super filthy and causing my hands to be black (same for floor mats and causing shoes to be black) if I can't get them clean to my satisfaction may replace them all - wood steering wheel and gear shift?
- the CD player that's installed works but...yeah...CD PLayer LOL Maybe I'll trade it for an 8-track Ha!

Brace yourselves for my onslaught of questions!

- Jenn (MG_Girl)

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    647 KB · Views: 28
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    575 KB · Views: 29
  • s-l1600 (17).jpg
    s-l1600 (17).jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 36
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 27

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! You can get a lot of help in the MG forum.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for sharing a great story and congrats on your MG! MGB is a great little car and a good car to get started in for sure. As you start to work on the issues you listed, be sure to visit our MG forum here where you will get lots of help and support!

Basil

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Jenn

Welcome to the forum.

A very nice looking MGB.

The MG section will be able to help with most if not all your questions.
The carbs probable need to be rebuilt by a pro. Joe Curto in NY is one of the best for SU carbs.
Several places sell trim kits that you can install or have fitted by a pro.

Is the MGB old enough for a valve radio. My TR2 back in the 1960s had a radio that had to warm up just like the car.

David