• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

TR2/3/3A Generator Output

OP
TR3MT

TR3MT

Member
Offline
Hello All,
_At highway speeds my amp meter reads a charge of +3 amps but when I turn the head lights on I get a steading reading of about -5 amps. Is there a way I can increase the amp output? The fan belt is tight.
Thanks for any input,
TR3MT
 
Well, OK. I'm not going to discount anyone's experience, but I'm still skeptical. I can't see how something that handles 30A easily will undergo a catastrophic failure at 60. The wire loop, probably #14 or larger, has a fusing current between 150A and 200A, so there is no way that 60A will melt it. It might melt the solder in the connections, but that won't be sudden, if it happens at all. Remember, the pointer is coupled to that loop only by a weak magnetic field, and it carries no current. Doubling it is unlikely to cause mechanical damage.

I suspect people who report ammeter damage have underestimated the short-circuit output current of the alternator, which could be a lot higher than the rated output. Or simply made a mistake in connecting it. Either of which is likely to cause damage, with or without a shunt.

As for shunts...you're dealing with hundredths or thousandths of an ohm resistance, most of which is in the connections, not the wire. A minuscule change in the connections (like adding an extra washer) can make a proportionately huge change in the resistance, which will strongly affect the full-scale reading. You can't be sure the shunted meter is correct unless you check the calibration with the shunt in place. That's one reason why I've never used one, as I don't have the equipment to calibrate it.
You are right, in that the ammeter will still pass current after it is ruined. It is not the shunt that will be damaged, it's the hair thin wire coil that moves the needle.
 
Back
Top