• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Frozen fulcrum pin

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a set of front disc brakes from a 66 sprite to use on the yet to be named yellow Bugeye. The wishbones or not in great shape but I have a second set that is. I want to remove the disc brake assembly from the original wishbone and install it on the second wishbone however the fulcrum pin is very frozen. Any advice on removal of the pin?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
IIRC it was heat and more heat and weasel p*ss and various other incantations. good luck!

Actually as I type this I think I took it to a shop where they hit it with an oxy acetylene torch

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
There is no easy way .As above Heat and more heat. I once used a carbide hacksaw blade to cut each side and then drove out the piece in the king pin.

RickF

Country flag
By frozen do you mean the fulcrum pin is frozen in the kingpin? If you have removed the cotter pin and the fulcrum is still stuck the usual solution is to use a sawzall to cut the fulcrum pin into three pieces. Then drive the remaining piece out of the kingpin.

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
By frozen do you mean the fulcrum pin is frozen in the kingpin? If you have removed the cotter pin and the fulcrum is still stuck the usual solution is to use a sawzall to cut the fulcrum pin into three pieces. Then drive the remaining piece out of the kingpin.
Frozen to the wishbone.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Just slice between Kingpin and Wishbone with a Sawzall. It will come apart there easily. Chances are wishbone is trash anyway and cracked. 6 out of 8 Wishbones I tried to save over the years turned out to be cracked or threads were trashed, Take a look at this thread

http://www.mikeamick.com/76midget/ It shows how to use the sawzall to defeat that frozen in rust bastard.

RickF

Country flag
Never seen that before. Usually there is so much wear between the fulcrum pin and the A-arm the front end wobbles all over the place when driving.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Never seen that before. Usually there is so much wear between the fulcrum pin and the A-arm the front end wobbles all over the place when driving.
Yes, Bugsy 1 would change lanes at 30 mph whoever I encountered a tar strip