• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fretted crank hub fix.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I had installed the Moss narrow belt conversion with a dampener pulley a couple of years ago.
it seemed to perform well & I was happy with the results.....right up until the pulley failed.
turns out the woodruff key was only partially covered by the pulley boss. But you could not see that from the front, because the spacer blocks your view.
IMG_1095.jpg
the key gradually rockered back and finally broke off, allowing the pulley to spin on the hub, wallowing the boss out & worse, fretting the end of the hub.

View attachment 49217
View attachment 49213

After discussing the situation with folks on the BCF,
i decided to go back to the original pulley hub, with a bastuck narrow belt pulley from BCNW, and a hub terminator from Patton Machine shop.

View attachment 49219

the original pulley hub will cover the entire key slot & can utilize the back third of the crank shaft hub ( unfretted) for max support.
in addition I will use loctite 660 to "build up" the fretted end.

(this was a Mazda fix pointed out by Art [Martx-5])

the hub terminator supplied by Patton Machine shop is high grade aluminum, not to heavy, but adds balance ( I hope, since the new pulley is non-dampened.).

so now that I have all the parts, I will start the reassembly soon.

IMG_1143.jpg

Though i may wait to put the car back together until I take care of some rust issues on the left wing.