• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine hoist info

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Flagstaff BN1:
I am interested in buying a folding engine hoist. The nearest city is 150 miles away so I want to purchase from someone who will ship to me. Any suggestions for a source for an inexpensive (under $200) one?

Thanks
<hr></blockquote>

I recenlty bought a really nice hoist from Pep Boys in Albuquerque for about that price. You might give them a call and see if they can ship one (expect to pay $25 $50 for shipping I'd guess). The legs detach and store vertically, and the main arm is in two pieces. The whole thing folds up easily for storage and it's on roller wheels for easy manuvering. If you're interested I can run out and take a picture with my digital camera and post it here.
Basil

PS: Welcome to the forum!!
savewave.gif

Flagstaff BN1

Freshman Member
I am interested in buying a folding engine hoist. The nearest city is 150 miles away so I want to purchase from someone who will ship to me. Any suggestions for a source for an inexpensive (under $200) one?

Thanks

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Flagstaff BN1:

Thanks
<hr></blockquote>

To member #340. As a suggestion from someone who has used an engine hoist purchased for under $200. I would just rent a good hoist and use it, then return it. One, because there safer to use, two, you don't have to store it. I have found the hoists available for under $200 are usually unsafe. The wheels, are the weak point. Most use threaded studs, which arn't available. I almost lost a completed Austin Healey motor because of wheel failure.

Charles #677556

Originally posted by Flagstaff BN1:
[QB]I am interested in buying a folding engine hoist. The nearest city is 150 miles away so I want to purchase from someone who will ship to me. Any suggestions for a source for an inexpensive (under $200) one?

Flagstaff;
Jumping in late, here, I gotta agree with Johnny (Mem #376) about a "cheap" engine hoist..
You may say that you are only going to use it on lightweight engines, but eventually you will try to pull a heavy engine/gearbox like an XK Jag.. the risk is too high and a mistake can be expensive, not to mention fatal.
Several years ago I bought a very good quality "high-lift" (almost ten feet at the top) engine hoist/crane from Sam's Club for $250. I'm sure the price has gone up since then, but I have used it to not only pull engines (the biggest being a Ser III XJ-6 with gearbox attached) but I've lifted bodies off frames, used to to hold up the back of a '65 Mustang body shell while I primed the areas where the rotisserie was mounted, etc.
It is NOT a foldable type but the legs and boom can retract making it some smaller.. I have it in the corner of a 1500 sq ft shop.
I am a firm believer in buying quality tools.. quality does not always mean expensive. They are actually cheaper in the long run.. Save your dimes and get a good one.. too much is at stake.
Charles #677556.