• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Computer question

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I had a problem with my desktop icons (Windows XP Home) all being auto arranged to the left even though it was not checked in the desktop options. Regardless, I isolated the problem to a file named CICache.exe. It is not a virus, malware etc but it was the problem. Found out others had the same problem.

I have no idea what program uses it or when it was installed but I do think it has been there for quite some time. Why it suddenly started causing the problem is anyone's guess.

Anyone else have this on their computer? Located in C:\Windows

Thanks
Bruce

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Once I found it was ICCache.exe I Googled it and that site came up. It does not answer what uses it but regardless the computer is working correctly again.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bruce,
If you right click on the file, choose properties, then the version tab and finally company, you might get some idea where the program came from. My computer (with XP) doesn’t have that file.

I don't recall that as a usefull file for any current version of windows. Could be a semi-malicious exe file. I don't think there should be any exe file on just the c-drive, and not in a folder anywhere.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there should be any exe file on just the c-drive, and not in a folder anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with no exe files needed in the root of the startup drive (I.E. c:\) to boot the computer, but there are hundreds of exe files in folders that are legitimate programs. The most used one being sol.exe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Definitely not a virus or malware. Ran oodles of programs to check. As with many files, this one won't give the "version" option to check company etc.

One person, who had the same problem, thinks it is on his computer because of a card reader he installed. I have not installed one but some program put it there. I may isolate it to a folder for safe keeping.

So far everything runs without it being run through "startup".

Thanks everyone.

Bruce