• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Citroen DS-21

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Love a DS - go for it!

OP
C

cwdubya

Country flag
I'm seeing the seller tomorrow. There's a DS locally in gray that's a beautiful car- I've lusted after it for a few years now. It's in fantastic condition, so it's a ways away from this one, but you know the hope is that you could get this one to that shape, right?

OP
C

cwdubya

Country flag
Haha! I've been on the hunt for a few years now. I've looked and driven a Mercedes W114, a Renault Dauphine, a BMW E21, a 1961 Oldsmobile Cutlass, and a few others. I feel at the very least I've seen what I do and don't like- it's a wide world out there. It's hard to find 1950s and 1960s cars in the Inland Northwest in general. It's very slim pickings. I wish I lived closer to Seattle, Portland, or Denver to have more availability, but maybe this one will be the one :smile: I'm a sucker for European stuff. I'd love to run into a TR3 that wouldn't kill the pocketbook, and I can only dream about an XK120/140 or a Porsche 912...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The 120/140 was my first choice, 20 years ago. But the budget was close to zero. Compromised and found a decent TR3. Later moved to a 1958 M-B 220S with Hydrak, then a 1960 190b, a 1958 Rambler American, and on it goes.

Check out my cross-country trip in the M-B 190b (W121).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm seeing the seller tomorrow. There's a DS locally in gray that's a beautiful car- I've lusted after it for a few years now. It's in fantastic condition, so it's a ways away from this one, but you know the hope is that you could get this one to that shape, right?
My first car was a DS19 Safari Wagon - I had no clue what I was doing and in the late 70's in small town Ontario neither did anyone else. Blew a hole in the engine after 6 months but still miss it and it is one of the very few cars I would sell the Midget (and my other cars) for. There is one (a Safari wagon) about 3 blocks from me - in a stalled restoration. I just look away every time I pass the building it is in. :smile:

OP
C

cwdubya

Country flag
My first car was a DS19 Safari Wagon - I had no clue what I was doing and in the late 70's in small town Ontario neither did anyone else. Blew a hole in the engine after 6 months but still miss it and it is one of the very few cars I would sell the Midget (and my other cars) for. There is one (a Safari wagon) about 3 blocks from me - in a stalled restoration. I just look away every time I pass the building it is in. :smile:
Realistically, the wrenching that I've done is far short of what this one needs. I definitely love the look, but I can't say that I'm not nervous over a hydropneumatic suspension that's been sitting for at least 15 years. In retrospect, that Renault Dauphine would've been a better candidate for me than this one, no matter how pretty the Citroen might look when it's finished.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
They're all just cars. It seems like most if not all of the suspension stuff is available and from what I have seen less expensive than expected. The Dauphine is delightful but the DS - is a DS

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The smoothest ride I ever had to this day was in one of them, the car was fairly new at the time. It was like floating on a cloud, extremely quiet and comfortable. The one I rode in when parked, lowered itself supposedly for easier entrance and exit. I understand the suspension is pricey to restore due to the hydraulic system, but have no idea what is involved. PJ

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Beautiful car. I assume it did not follow you home?

My wife, as a surprise for me, rented one for me a few weeks back as a birthday present (5-o). (She did not know the significance of the design - but holy moly was I over the moon!)

Attachments

• DS1.jpg
    DS1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 80
  • DS2.jpg
    DS2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • DS3.jpg
    DS3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • DS4.jpg
    DS4.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 79

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hagerty Driveshare. She found it near my parents, in the western Chicago suburbs.

Neat concept, kind of like an Air BnB of cars, i.e. private folks lending their cars. Hagerty provides the insurance and the web page to link potential customers to the cars. Obviously a renter could be a yo-yo and do bad things with your pride and joy! There are a few rules: you must have a garage to store the car overnight, I suspect the miles are limited, etc. I have no idea what the cost was; in my mind it did not matter... it is not every day you get to spend two days driving a museum piece!

cwdubya, if this is helping to get the DS to follow you home, you're welcome!