Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I suspect that the float plug located in the bottom of my SU175 carbs is the cause of leaking fuel. I have received new plugs and 'O' rings...question-do the carbs need to be removed in order to replace plugs?
Not if you are careful. I'd disconnect the fuel line, cap or plug it and run the engine until it stops. There should be very littl gas left in the float chamber.
Then, if you work your way around the plug with thumbnails for instance, prying and rotating until these Plastic claws are inside the opening; then you can pull straight down and out. There will be a bit of gas, but not the whole chamber full.
I cut the old O-ring and lube the new with anything slipery to avoid stressing the plastic claws
I've had plugs with one claw broken off seal just fine with a new O-ring so don't fret if that happens
Thanks for the tip. I had ordered and received new plugs and 'O' rings that I will use...once I find the time. Was issued a speeding ticket today driving my Tundra....37 in a 30, can you believe that! First speeding ticket ever.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.