• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT cant rails on 1967 MGB GT

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
This may seem like a dumb question, but are the cant rails recovered in place or are they removed when recovering? Is there a good source for the off white vinyl? thanks tom

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Dislike answering a question with a question, but what cant rails are you looking to recover? Door rails? If so, they should be off the doors to recover those. The off-white vinyl? Are you looking for the welting/beading at the top of the door rails?

Photos would help clarify.

OP
T

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Dislike answering a question with a question, but what cant rails are you looking to recover? Door rails? If so, they should be off the doors to recover those. The off-white vinyl? Are you looking for the welting/beading at the top of the door rails?

Photos would help clarify.
Looking to recover the cant rails next to the headliner. The cant rails are off white now,or at these it appears to be an off white. The headliner is good and I think is an off white or faded white wool liner. It is very soft and fannel like.
thanks

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
the term 'cant rails' is unfamilier to us on this side of the pond - sorry - do you have a picture?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Cant rail - maybe the c-pillar next to the hatch?

OP
T

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Cant rail is the molding pieces that surround the headliner. I believe there are four of them. On e above the windshield, one above each door and window and one in the back.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Cant rail is the molding pieces that surround the headliner. I believe there are four of them. On e above the windshield, one above each door and window and one in the back.
I believe these are wrapped in place if we are talking about the front at side rails that holds up the headliner. My 67 had a fairly original interior and they are covered in vinyl that is almost plastic like. Very brittle at the moment. If these are removable, I've not been able to figure out how.

If you are talking about the C-pillar, left and right of hatch, then these are masonitel-like cardboard, covered in foam, wrapped in vinyl. The color is off-white, leaning towards very light gray.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If they are what we in the UK call a flock finish these can be refurbed by a smart repairer in place, i have done this type myself .
The fibres are mixed in a jar until the required match is for colour is made, then the area is coated with spay adhesive and the new flock
is prayed from a puffer fitted to the top of the mixing jar.
this how to do a seat but same principle for smaller items, different flocks can be nmixed very much like paint.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
If they are what we in the UK call a flock finish these can be refurbed by a smart repairer in place, i have done this type myself .
The fibres are mixed in a jar until the required match is for colour is made, then the area is coated with spay adhesive and the new flock
is prayed from a puffer fitted to the top of the mixing jar.
this how to do a seat but same principle for smaller items, different flocks can be nmixed very much like paint.

Maybe different on later cars but I see no way of removing the front or side rails.

Attachments

• 20230814_144806.jpg
    20230814_144806.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Maybe different on later cars but I see no way of removing the front or side rails.
Maybe someone out there has a picture of these removed.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A smart repairer could do these in situe.
I have done this on a bmw mini head lining. Colors can be matched very well.
But we could be barking up the wrong tree without pictures

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
After some thought, I seem to remember on the last one I did the sides and front were covered in situ. The center liner covers the edges.
Hope this helps.