• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

Came home from a store run

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
To find this guy perched in a tree in my front yard!

Hawk27_2.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And, yes, shot RAW, exposed for the highlights, run thru Darktable, and cropped.

Original frame:

0027sm.jpg

Original .jpg exposure to accompany the RAW image in camera.

DSC_0027original.JPG

Last edited:

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
What a huge difference from the original JPG.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This was after I'd tried to get to his "good"side and he lit off to perch on neighbor's fence for a second. It has a gawdawful amount of noise in it. The lens I had was too short (18~140mm) already on the camera, didn't waste time trying to swap lenses in case he decided to leave. So this is seriously cropped.

DSC_0048_10.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What a huge difference from the original JPG.
My WAG is there's about a 1.5~2.5 stop "range of forgiveness" to be able to draw out the shadow detail with any under-exposed image. Not done any empirical testing, too lazy and will just keep it in mind. πŸ˜‰

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A bit better. Thanks!smBird.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A confession, a horrible cheat! I did the gamma and crop in GIMP. :p

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
FYI, you can crop in Darktable. When you export, you can change the file size too. I don't consider GIMP a cheat, just opening another program.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
FYI, you can crop in Darktable. When you export, you can change the file size too. I don't consider GIMP a cheat, just opening another program.
And one I'm more familiar with. I'm now in the "whatever works" stage. Had to hunt and add the de-noise module before I could use it. And the control is 'tetchy' to say the least. Couldn't find a point much below .5 without going the other direction.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
I went back and looked at Darktable. There are three different denoises. Astrophoto, profiled and RAW. On the RAW, I misspoke. Instead of .2 or .3 I should have said .002 or.003 on the threshold. The slider only goes to .1 anyway. What version are you running? In my repository (Mint) the regular package is 2.4.2-1. The flatpack version is 3.8.1. 16 meg file vs. 116 meg.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I went back and looked at Darktable. There are three different denoises. Astrophoto, profiled and RAW. On the RAW, I misspoke. Instead of .2 or .3 I should have said .002 or.003 on the threshold. The slider only goes to .1 anyway. What version are you running? In my repository (Mint) the regular package is 2.4.2-1. The flatpack version is 3.8.1. 16 meg file vs. 116 meg.
This is 2.4.4-1.el7 and I barely touched the control for RAW and it radically changed the image. Had to really fuss with it to dial it back to what I thought was okay. Still a bit overdone, actually.

That looks like a Juvenile Bald Eagle?
It looked to be a younger bird, others have said a Cooper's Hawk, but ornithology ain't my strong suit! πŸ˜‰

Basil

Administrator
Boss
It looked to be a younger bird, others have said a Cooper's Hawk, but ornithology ain't my strong suit!
Cooper's Hawk was actually my first thought. Only reason I suggested Juvenile Bald Eagle is the length of the beak - looked a tad long for a Coopers, but still could be.
UPDATE: The more I look at it and compare, I think it probably is a Cooper's hawk.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
AFAIC, you could tell me it's a "Big Flying Florida Rodent Eater." I'd accept it. πŸ˜‰

Dave oughta be able to tell us for certain what it is, methinks.