• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake swap

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I know this is a really long shot, what cars that have the juice brakes would swap over to the Prefect or Anglia

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mine all came from a '58 Prefect, everything, pedals and all. Biggest problem was the 13 inch wheels. Solved that with a set of TR3 wheels. This was in the mid '60s so VW tirees fit and were readily available at a reasonable price. They were also almost exactly the same rolling diameter as the original tires so speedo got right again. The '48 bearings fit the drums. I had to make adapters for the new wheels. It also needed a spacer behind the rear backing plates. Completely happy with the end result. I also converted the clutch to hydraulic to use the new swing pedal like the brakes.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I just heard back from angliabrokers.com and was told there is really no advantage as long as you keep the cable adjusted and I have no idea where I would find a 58 model in the states I thank you for the help.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Keeping the mechanicals is certainly the easier way. And they can be made to work but it is not trivial. We drove it a couple of years with the original system. Also, adjustment is an on-going function. I did try first just to convert the originals to hydraulic by replacing the internal expanders with cylinders and matching master from some salvage yard car, a '50s Dodge if I remember right. It did work but was not an improvement. that's when I went for the later Prefect and replaced the whole system.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Help again for rear axle half shaft seal, #4050
(half shaft oil seal, locates halfway along the half shaft inside the axle casing, dimensions approx :- o/d 43.65mm, i/d 23.65mm, thickness 10.90mm)
For the life of me, I cannot come up with anything Stateside
On a better note, I have found the wheel bearings locally and upon further inspection, (removal) they look in really nice shape. The seals are another story as the front wheels do not use a seal they have some kind of stamped metal holder so the grease as it works its way to the inside will fall off into this tray of sorts

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Glad to hear you found the bearings, and locally even better. I can't help you though on that #4050. I see it on the parts diagram but I've never had my axles out and they have never leaked. How did you happen to find the seal? Did you remove the axle? What sort of seal is it? Also on the front seals, since changing drums I have always wanted to look for a proper seal and I'm sure one can be found. The bottom line though is what it has just works and doesn't seem to leak. I know it doesn't look right but I have put around 30k miles on them.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I do not have my axle apart how I found out about the leaky seal is when I jacked up the right side I get a puddle of axle grease on the wheel dolly and this does not happen on the right side when the left is jacked up.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's interesting Jim. Now I wonder where that thing actually is and how you go about getting to it and what holds it in. I had the rear drums off recently exposing the bearings but didn't know of that seal at the time. I wonder if it is just inside the bearings. Are you changing the rear bearings as well or just the fronts?

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
The seal is on the inside of the diff or right there in that area, you have to remove the gears to get to it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ouch, that sounds like a big job.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I have a few other items to do but it does not look like a big job unbolt the radius rods disconnect the tube and springs open the diff and the seal is right there. If this was a repair for a customer I would be looking at a couple of hours but I am just a hobbyist trying to go broke so a couple days.
Cheerio
Jimj

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Does your diff open on both sides? Mine doesn't.