• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Body Mounting Bolts.

Skellyt

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello Forum. Is anybody aware of whether there are any torque specs. for body mounting bolts on my TR3B. I have checked the workshop manual (reprint), my Haynes manual and searched the forum, but could not find any. Since I couldn’t find any, my thoughts were to tighten them as tightly as possible after adding some lock tire to the threads.

Thanks, Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
You probably will not find a number; the bolt is not a steel to steel attachment because the bolt goes through the rubber shims. I would tighten the bolt until the lock washer closes and perhaps a few pounds more and not so tight as to rip the thin rubber pad. With the lock washer closed, the vibration of driving is less apt to loosen the bolt. However, others might have a different view.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My TR 6 book states what should be the same for your TR 3 10 to 14 Lbs 3/8 fine thread. As they may have any number of shims and rubber to fit doors ect. it just holds body true. NOTE fine thread bolts strip easy at any location. here a some basic torques Spark plugs 14/20- 1/4 UNF 6/9
5/16 UNF 15/20 - 1/2 UNF 50/65 - Gear box top cover 5/16 UNF 15/20 - motor mounts 3/8 UNF 24/32. Valve cover 1 to 2 lbs note to bend cover
Madflyer

Joel Lester

Country flag
Can someone define what those numbers are that Madflyer used? for example... what does 14/20- 1/4 UNF mean? Just curious because I'm trying to figure out how I can "chase" the square nuts on the body work on my TR3A. I know they are fine threads but if I were to buy a tap and die set (or thread chaser kit) I'd like to know what size etc. to get?

Joel

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I don't know what the 14/20 means, probably torque applicable to spark plugs. 1/4 UNF is a phrase in itself and means 1/4 diameter and 28 threads per inch, 28 being standard fine thread in 1/4 diameter. 1/4 NC is coarse, or 20 threads per inch. Fine and coarse thread pitch vary with the diameter of the bolt.
Bob

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't know what the 14/20 means, probably torque applicable to spark plugs. 1/4 UNF is a phrase in itself and means 1/4 diameter and 28 threads per inch, 28 being standard fine thread in 1/4 diameter. 1/4 NC is coarse, or 20 threads per inch. Fine and coarse thread pitch vary with the diameter of the bolt.
Bob
I would suggest that 14/20 is really 14 to 20 lbs torque. These numbers have nothing to do with the threads per inch.
Charley

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Coarse and fine threads also vary with the material they are intended for. Cast iron tends to get a coarse thread whereas steel will have a fine thread.
1/4" 20 is the UNC standard and 1/4" 28 is UNF standard.

David

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes sorry that is the torque rang 14/20 14 to 20 lbs The Bentley TR book list every bolt and thread. You can be safe with fine thread taps and dies. But note there are three taps in most every size tap. STARTING- RUNNING- AND BOTTOMING taps they are used like they sound . Madflyer

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You would always be safe using the old mechanic's method, tighten it up until it strips then back it off half a turn, never fails.

Graham

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Where I worked years ago we had an inspector who would go around an assembly checking the bolts were tight. He would always find that he could get another bit of a turn on the bolt and marked it lose on the inspection sheet.
One day an assembler got fed up with his attitude so the assembler tightened every bolt to the yield point so when the inspector did his normal thing every bolt failed. The assembler told him "put the spanner on the bolt and check it Don't add 1/2 a turn because I have got them done up correctly" He never had a problem again from the inspector.

David

Joel Lester

Country flag
This is what I love about these forums... you gain knowledge, insight and... a great sense of humor as we learn about these fine British sports cars. Always good to have a handle on who is being sarcastic though! LOL!

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Those that can do those that inspect well you know the rest. I had cement anchors inspected on a FED job 25% required a pull test. The test required a number of threads above the nut for his tool. I made sure they were the hardest to get to. A big job when 25% could be 50 test. I would walk away and the inspector would paint tested anchors. I think he spent more time painting than testing. Yes they all past. 5/8 3/4 and 1 inch anchors. Madflyer

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was a Elevator installer for 40 years. It is a trade that you do not mess with the good old boys. You name is our word and your work. As in the Ghost Buster's movie WHO YOU GONA CALL when things don't fit. Not the Engineer. Madflyer