• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Black Diamond Watermelons

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I shouldn't have, but I did!

I had just finished dropping a complete front suspension & steering from under the '67 MGB I'm parting out when a friend pulled up on his John Deere tractor with a 50 pound Black Diamond in the bucket....grabbed a big knife & cut that sucker open...oh, mannnnnnnnnn

Have a couple of young guys erecting a car storage shed the hurricane took down a couple of years ago..they were on top putting the metal roof back on when I called them....they didn't have to be asked twice, just sank their teeth into it!

When its 93 degrees out & you're soaking wet - who cares about refrigerating it! Even Jerri showed up to have a slice....

Blood sugar be darned!

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
we have those here too, Tony, and there's what's left over of one in the fridge

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't have many Black Diamonds around here - think they're primarily in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas - that part of the country...used to get them all the time when I was stationed at Ft Sill & Ft Leavenworth.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
they grow them, along with a bunch of other melons, in Posey County, which is the next county over. Farmers and others sell them by the side of the road

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
mmmmm. Posey Melons... At least that's what we called 'em in Southern Illinois... Monster sized cantaloupe with ribs... don't know really what they are called but grandma always called them 'Posey Melons'...

Every summer some old codger would drag a pick-up full of them into downtown Metropolis Illinois on the weekend and sell them at the side of the road.

Good eatin'....

dang... 9:15am and I'm dreaming about posey melons and pulled pork-shoulder BBQ on Wonder-Bread with vinegar sauce.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've had those cantalopes before also - they are the sweetest, juiciest 'lopes I've ever tasted - taste even better with black pepper sprinled over them!

R6MGS

Yoda
ugh, this is depressing....We can't even get a decent watermelon up here....The only ones avaiable are those seedless jobs with no taste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the world-famous Hope watermelons - several world record-holders have been grown right there in Hope, AR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My daughter and son-in-law have a home in Maryland that ajoins a watermelon farm. They knows that farmer so it's no problem to "go pick one". We visiting them so walked out back last night and got one. I'm eating it for breakfast right now...fresh!
The farm uses old school busses to harvest the melons. They cut the roof off the busses so it's easier to toss melons in. The pickers fill a bus up to about the 4' mark...looks funny seeing a convertible school bus filled with watermelons!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I was young - much, much younger, about 10 - my grandfather grew watermelons...his men would pick them & take out to central places along a road down through the middle of the field where a wagon behind a tractor would come along & load them to take back to the barn for transport to market...I "helped" also & my grandfather had a rule "if you break it, you eat it." Funny thing was, none of his employees ever broke a melon! I was the only one...hmmmm....years later as a teen helping him I finally figured out the rule was just for me as a little kid!