• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Convertible Top Assembly

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Moss has a sale in progress so I have decided to get a new Stayfast Convertible top for my BJ8. However, before the local upholstery man installs the new top, I think it would be a good idea to remove the top assembly from the car and either repaint or powder coat the top frame. Since I have never removed the top frame, I am wondering about the procedure. Looks like there are a couple of nuts on each side, maybe three. Do you need to remove the interior rear panels or can you just loosen them at the shut face to get to the nuts and spring? Anything else I need to know.
Thanks

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
There is a metal bracket that holds the softtop to the drain channel. A bunch of little screws will need to be removed (all from the seat side). As I recall, those nuts you are referring to were a bugger to remove. There may also be shims between that mounting point and the wheel arch. Take lots-o-photos. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Shorn, it is best to remove all of the rear interior panels in the car prior to removing and reinstalling a top.---Fwiw-Keoke

I am like Greg, I am not sure why they used the shims. However, keep them just as you found them by bolting them down with the nuts and washers until time to reinstall the top frame.

OP
S

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Greg & Keoke. I was figuring that the interior panels would have to come out. That is just about as much work as putting the new top on itself by the time you jack the car up and get the rear wheels off to access the bolts that go through the fender wells to the interior panels.
Question. Is the purpose of shims on the mounting plate, if any, to adjust lateral movement where the top meets the windshield?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
shorn said:
Question. Is the purpose of shims on the mounting plate, if any, to adjust lateral movement where the top meets the windshield?
Can't say for sure. I'd bet every car will be a little different. Here is a shot of what I had on my car.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
How are those shims supposed to sit? It looks like they are installed wrong... they should be locked into the second bolt... or am I mistaken?

John Loftus

Darth Vader
This is what I have noticed ..

The shims control the height of the vertical wood piece (at the rear of the window) which affects the alignment of the horizontal wood piece (at the top of the window). With no shims the horizonal piece will be more visible in the window area and the top material to be looser (see this 'problem' all the time). Adding the shims pushes the top piece up to the proper position.

Cheers,
John

OP
S

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't see shims for the convertible top listed in the Moss Cat. Any ideas as to thickness?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
healeynut said:
How are those shims supposed to sit? It looks like they are installed wrong... they should be locked into the second bolt... or am I mistaken?
Hi Alan,
I don’t know if they are installed correctly, only that they have been this way for a long time. My dad had replaced the soft top a couple of times, but I couldn’t say if he took the frame off or not. For ease of adjustment, I would think that the shim slots would face in. That way you could slide another shim in without completely removing the frame each time. The way mine were installed, the shims couldn’t fall out through use and abuse. This photo shows where the third bolt (not welded to the support bracket) would go.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Shorn,
I’ll see if I can find my shims today. I want to say they are .050” aluminum, but I’ll let you know for sure.

Achisholm12

Freshman Member
Country flag
Having a devil of a time getting the top frame to sit properly. The wood piece above the window sits an inch or more below the curved piece that wraps around the back of the window on BJ8. It's the same on both sides of the car and if there were shims, they are missing. Would they only be placed under the frame bolts toward the front of car?

Are there any other adjustments to have the wood pieces align so they wrap the window properly with the top up? Thanks a million.

Last edited by a moderator:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
This thread is 13 years old. The forum has had at least 2 if not 3 changes to the software as old software is no longer supported by its vendor. Some of the legacy software can't be converted.

Achisholm12

Freshman Member
Country flag
thank you. curious if the 2 straps not pictured are secured between the front rail and the wood bow or are stapled on top of the wood bow? unfortunately it's not pictured or mentioned other than to replace one at a time. I don't have any on the car right now. Also it shows a riveted bar above the rear window and my original frame does not have holes to accept rivets and i don't have a bar so the glue has got to do the trick there I guess. Finally, still having a dickens of a time with shiming to get the top and side pieces of wood to align to fit nicely around the roll up window. Patience is in order. Thank you again