• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

Better than Tums for G.A.S

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
After much soul searching and watching about 300 YouTube review videos, I have decided to pull the trigger on TWO lenses:

1. Canon RF 70-200 f/4
My ultimate rational for the f4 vice the much more rxpensive f2.8 was that, if I’m being honest, the amount of times I would β€œneed” 2.8 are relatively limited. With the low light performance of the Canon R5, I can bump up the ISO in low light situations and, in the event there’s a bit too much noise for my taste, I can run it through Topaz Denoise. The only thing I’m really giving up then is a bit better background blur, but from the comparisons I’ve seen, I can live with the f/4 in this regard. The f4 version can still produce quite nice background blur and subject separation. Also, the f/4 is much smaller and lighter and, since I like to backpack, it will be easier to lug around.

Also, with the $ I saved, I have ordered a second β€œfun” lens:

1. Canon RF 85 f/2 - This lens looks like an amazing prime for portraits and situations when I do want a bit more background blur and it has the added benefit of having macro capability, albeit not 1:1, but still should be fun to play with the macro capabilities.
I bought the 70-200 new and the 85mm refurbished from the canon store - still spent less than if I’d bought just the 70-200 f/2.8

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Congratulations! Well reasoned decision! That 85mm should be a terrific "kid chaser" of an optic!

And "setteling" for the ∱4 longer lens is a wise choice. As you said, the difference in bokeh will be neglegible, noise can be mitigated with Topaz.

Anxious to see what you do with both.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
And "setteling" for the ∱4 longer lens is a wise choice. As you said, the difference in bokeh will be neglegible, noise can be mitigated with Topaz.
Had the difference in price been a couple hundred, I might have gone ahead with 2.8 but the difference was more like $1400 and for my use cases (most of them) I could not justify that much more. If I were a professional wedding photographer, I could see paying the premium.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
God forbid.
Must agree. BTDT. Too much work for too little reward. And every man-and-his-dog are in the game now.

Besides, I don't think a 70~200 would be a good lens for bride chasing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag