• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anti Bucket list

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Eat plain rice cakes. I was hungry,& there wasn't much to eat in the house.
The same goes for gluten-free corn dogs (our Granddaughter's).

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Be a flatrate automotive technician

Country flag
Read what I thought you said rather than what was there at first, was hoping that meant you would be fixing things outdoors where there was plenty of air circulating....

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I made more money flat rate. Used two bays and knew the way to get around. By the hour at some shops but the boat shops were by the hour to save customers with salt water negativity.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I made good money flatrate as well, but now my body is paying for the years I beat myself up hoofing it on to the next job as quickly as I could.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Understand that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I would consistently "beat the book" but like Ben, my body is now telling me about it. At 5'10", 140-lb. in the heydays, I was doing the same jobs the +6.0' 190-lb. kids did.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Now arthritis, joint degenerative disease, barrett' can't move like I used to.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Osteo-arthritis" diagnosed for me. Joints swell and grate against each other. No fun in either case!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Exactly.

Country flag
I sympathize, all the little youthful sports injuries and years of crawling around on and under the cars have caught up. My knees regularly complain about stuff that 20 years ago I wouldn't have ever noticed.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I even beat myself up doing "leasure" activities. Learned early I am allergic to trees. Specifically while running through the woods, navigating rabbit runs on a set of slalom skis in the snow. Broken ribs and dislocated a shoulder while on a slalom water ski... Knees, shoulder, both act up now a odd times. I looked like a scarecrow but had a grip and upper body strength that surprised more than a few. Now I'm just OLD. :mad:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Back when I was 17, I had exploded the pinion yoke on my '67 Mustang. I purchased the car for $300 with no special deal to give you an idea of it's shape. No junk yard was interested in selling me just the yoke, only an entire axle. So I bought one and took the back covers off mine and the new one to have a looksee. The pinion gear on the newer axle looked good but the ring had a bunch of rust. Conversely, the ring gear looked better on the original axle. So in my mind I'd just swap the better ring gear into the new axle and install that into the car. After driving for a week (had to wait for the next weekend) I pulled the back cover off to find the ring gear had worn down quite a bit. It was then that I learned that the Mustang was produced with a couple different ratios...

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Back when I was 17, I had exploded the pinion yoke on my '67 Mustang. I purchased the car for $300 with no special deal to give you an idea of it's shape. No junk yard was interested in selling me just the yoke, only an entire axle. So I bought one and took the back covers off mine and the new one to have a looksee. The pinion gear on the newer axle looked good but the ring had a bunch of rust. Conversely, the ring gear looked better on the original axle. So in my mind I'd just swap the better ring gear into the new axle and install that into the car. After driving for a week (had to wait for the next weekend) I pulled the back cover off to find the ring gear had worn down quite a bit. It was then that I learned that the Mustang was produced with a couple different ratios...
I should have put this in the "Wall of Shame" thread. Oh well. One thing I left out was the howling sound that came from the axle after the swap. That was what prompted me to pull everything apart again.

JamesH

Country flag
howling sound indeed. i bet. now, i am not giving you a hard time because i've done dumb stuff too--but i bet that car sure "told you all about it."