• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

After the venue in the park

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I went mid-range, ∱5.6 at 1/250 sec.

Those blossoms open up right after dark, the bees and wasps swarm 'em. I may try and get some flash shots later, and try not to get stung! Those wasps are in-ground yellow-jackets, really aggressive if they get PO'd. The guy doing our pest control was due to be here early yesterday but came down with a (the?) flu, so we wait 'til he's well again to rid the nest... Mits was bitten twice, me once, before we'd realized they were around!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No pollen thieves!

1663SM2.JPG

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What came in the box, with a camera bag too, for $6.00 more than the failed purchase of JUST a body.

Fully functional, cosmetically looks lightly used. It checked out & was used for the night time flash shot in the previous post.

DSC_1665SM.JPG
DSC_1666SM.JPG

Basil

Administrator
Boss
What came in the box, with a camera bag too, for $6.00 more than the failed purchase of JUST a body.

Fully functional, cosmetically looks lightly used. It checked out & was used for the night time flash shot in the previous post.

View attachment 74794
View attachment 74795
Nice - I see it came with a battery grip too! Those come in handy and make switching between landscape and portrait much easier. I use my battery grip when I know I’m going to be shooting all day and don’t want to bother changing out batteries.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That battery grip was a pleasant surprise. Couldn't tell in the ad if it was a Nikon or aftermarket piece. I have set it up to use the AE-F/AE-L button for autofocus, same as the body set-up without it. It only works with the D7200 though. No provision on the D7500 for it, other newer features apparently made it too much to accommodate. I've a number of spare batteries, so no big thing. When I got the 7500, I got a Vello after-market grip for them but don't care for the cable connection to communicate with the camera's shutter release.

Last edited:
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just went back and looked at that corn plant shot in Darktable. Apparently didn't pay close attention to recalling settings. It was actually taken at ∱6.3 1/400 sec, with ISO at 800. Relying on my memory WRT settings info is obviously useless! Again a thanks to Greg for the Darktable recommendation!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Just went back and looked at that corn plant shot in Darktable. Apparently didn't pay close attention to recalling settings. It was actually taken at ∱6.3 1/400 sec, with ISO at 800. Relying on my memory WRT settings info is obviously useless! Again a thanks to Greg for the Darktable recommendation!
It's great that you have a noise reduction program that will run on your box. It's amazing what software can to to "save" an otherwise too-noisy or not sharp enough image. It's magic!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It was actually taken at ∱6.3 1/400 sec, with ISO at 800.
I've noticed a several of your shots are taken with an ISO of 800. I'd suggest massaging the triangle to get an ISO of 200. Seems like the shots you've done would work with an f5.6 and 1/200th.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've noticed a several of your shots are taken with an ISO of 800. I'd suggest massaging the triangle to get an ISO of 200. Seems like the shots you've done would work with an f5.6 and 1/200th.
Kinda funny you mention that. Hadn't seen it 'til now. This morning I started playing with shooting in manual and letting the ISO fall where it wanted, between 100 and 3200, Ala Steve Perry on a YouTube video. Put the 80-400 on the D7500 and sticks, pointed down range at another car tag and dealer sticker. Almost 200' away, 1250th sec. at ∱8 the ISO set itself at 200. Was looking more for resolution limits of the lens, so no filters, high shutter speed, middle of the glass and a remote shutter release. All to rule out motion fuzz & distortion.

Size reduced, cropped screen shot of the Darktable image in NEF:
Screenshot2023-03-09.jpg

Last edited: