• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adhesives for Body Repair

healeymanca

Freshman Member
Could anyone with experiences with the latest types of adhesives used in body panel repair let me know what you think of them (good or bad). I do not plan on using the adhesive for structural repairs, but was interested for repairs to wings, doors, and other such areas.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have been making enquiries, and finally I have an answer for you. A friend of mine is an auto body repair professional, owning his own facility in Milwaukee. I felt that he was the man to ask on your behalf, and his input and advice is as follows:-

There are different types of adhesive, for metal, plastic, and glassfibre. The rule of thumb is that if you don't know what you're doing with them, stay away, but for an experienced user, they are very effective, and do their job well. The upside is that they are a tremendous time saver, and reduce the amount of man/hours needed considerably, in addition to their effectiveness. The downside is that they are being used by the less scrupulous businesses as a cheap 'bodge'.

He warns that unless the vehicle in question was assembled by the factory using adhesives, do not use them. The main reason for this is that a vehicle that was designed as a unibody relies on the strength of the bodywork, often using panels to contribute to its structural integrity. Adhesives instead of welds can compromise that strength. If the car was welded by the factory, use welds in repairs. Even though the technology for these adhesives was not around when the majority of our cars were built, it does not mean that they would be an improvement if they were used on our cars today.

The rule should be that a car should be assembled in the same way
that it came apart. Adhesives can be used for repairs, but once again, only where there is no structural panel. I can see it working on door skins, maybe rear wings, but I would be reluctant to use it anywhere it might matter in a crash.

Does that help? I hope I haven't confused the message.

Steve

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

OP
H

healeymanca

Freshman Member
thanks for taking the time to look speak to your friend Steve,
cheers.gif
Any of the repairs I have planned to use the adhesive on are not structural, mostly small patches on the doors or rear wings. You have told me much the same as what I have learned from other sources also.

So, now I think I will have a go at some adhesive "repairs" on some scrap metal.

Back to the garage...