• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

About that little line down the center

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Interesting history about those lines in the road.
"History the deserves to be remembered"

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Interesting tidbit of history. It's one of those things I have never personally considered.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Another of the rabbit hole vids.

I grew up with metallurgists, physics PhD's and EE's. Some of the first ultrasonic test equipment was developed in my living room as I was a kid. I knew Snell's Law at age twelve, tutored by those folks. They worked for a steel company producing nuclear grade tubing for Groton Connecticut shipyards... Long gone now, Babcock & Wilcox. They produced tubing for nuke subs, they were originally a boiler making outfit. Later, in the late '70's, I ran ultrasonic test equipment they'd developed in my childhood home. Seamless stainless tubing. Crude by today's standards, search heads of Lucite, "Hamiclear" as the interface and Sperry oscilloscopes to "see" imperfections. Amazing to see how ultrasonic uses have has developed.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I remember the Babcock and Wilcox name from back in the 60s. Probably when installing their high pressure steam equipment. Wow, that's been a while, :sleep:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A funny aside to that company is they couldn't find a reliable source for the insulating materials used in the furnaces, so they bought an outfit named Insul-Brick. Turned out the biggest customers for that product were mink farms. The critters needed something to chew on to keep their teeth short and sharp... :ROFLMAO: