• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

55mm micro

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It's been probably 3 years since I used this lens but brought it out to photo that lizard I posted in the pub. The focus was locked up so tight it felt like it had been glued. Eventually, it did break loose and started moving but I'm gonna have to send it in for service and a lube. Really sharp lens.
dsc_7534-jpg.71511

This is a crop from the same shot.
DSC_7534_01.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That parallels the experience with my 55mm AiS micro Nikkor. Stiff to the point I was afraid I'd split the barrel if I kept it up. It did release finally. Worked it a bit thru the whole distance and it loosened up some. After I'd used it for some slide copying, with the lens at full extension I used a bamboo sliver and some Timken red wheel bearing grease (VERY little) and applied it to the helical threads from the rear of the lens. Much improved.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And you're right. "tack sharp" optic. Glad I have it. The AF lenses have the iris sprung to be closed when not engaged with a body, the old AiS ones are sprung opposite. Full aperture and adjustable off the camera, useful with a bellows or slide copier.