• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2002 Accord problem

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:eagerness:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
About 10 minutes driving time. Left turn out of driveway, right at light, down hill to caution light, left at caution light and turn into driveway of liquor store. Going back home, reverse direction. Pizza was good too - real thin crust.

Just out of curiousity why didn't you turn the car around? :grin:

glad the pizza was good though :cheerss;

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, there is a huge difference in complexity between "our" cars and modern vehicles. Which tend to work great until they don't. Then you have to figure it out, and you can't tell what is broken by looking, because it is a black box or sensor, nor by a simple continuity test. With luck you can narrow it down to 2-3 things and start swapping parts. No specific advice beyond what I do. Look up model specific forums, google it, search youtube. There are a lot of resources out there for modern cars.

I will also add RE the 160,000 miles of trouble free driving. I think the late 90s and early 2000s are kind of a sweet spot for car reliability. The figured out electronic engine controls and fuel injection, but hadn't yet added all the smart car and "infotainment" stuff that can get flaky (and that I don't care about).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I read an article recently that talked about the challenge for future car restorers being car electronics. I know it already is as people make sense of first generation computers. On another forum I watched a guy diagnose and repair a Renault Alliance GTA. Never mind his slightly odd choice of project, I was completely at a loss to understand what he was doing. OTOH his current project is adding bluetooth to a 40's Pontiac tube radio so he clearly has the skills.

Coming back to the Honda failing. I do have to point out that while I have been stranded more than once, SWMBO getting stranded is a horse of an entirely different colour. Her patience for cars breaking down and then miraculous starting (Particularly when it is me starting it) can be measured in nanoseconds. :grin: She had a VW Beetle that twice had the clutch go to the floor and stay there. The third time, on the highway in rush hour, was time to get another car. So, she has the Mini and my daughter has the Beetle - still going strong but with a new Master cylinder.

In my experience, once SWMBO decides a car is unreliable nothing is going to change that and the path of least resistance is usually another car. And in fairness, while no one wants to be left stranded, it is exponentially more fraught for women. So, good luck with the Accord but I suspect your beloved has already run out of patience with the car.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Well it finally happened. Luckily, right here in our driveway. Cranked like mad but no start.
AAA is on the way. DeMott Automotive alerted. I'll pass on the diagnosis and (cure?) as soon as I know.
Wife had a luncheon with her golf group. I drove her.
Serv-Pro Cleaners are here cleaning house from top to bottom after kitchen fire. I have $2K deductible on my H/O policy.
TR6 goes into the shop tomorrow for clutch hydraulic repair.
Our furnace may be on its last legs.
End of report.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well it finally happened. Luckily, right here in our driveway. Cranked like mad but no start.
AAA is on the way. DeMott Automotive alerted. I'll pass on the diagnosis and (cure?) as soon as I know.
Wife had a luncheon with her golf group. I drove her.
Serv-Pro Cleaners are here cleaning house from top to bottom after kitchen fire. I have $2K deductible on my H/O policy.
TR6 goes into the shop tomorrow for clutch hydraulic repair.
Our furnace may be on its last legs.
End of report.

I feel your pain - glad it finally didn't work though if you know what I mean. keep us posted! :cheers:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Interim report. Main relay replaced. Car is running. Rear brake pads worn per shop. Told him to go ahead and replace. Also replaced air filter. No word yet on TR6. Shot a 55 today for 9 holes. Cleaners are coming back for 3rd day tomorrow. Son arriving from MA at 5 pm - we won't let him in the house.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Honda and TR6 both doing well after transplant surgery but I'm about $1,200.00 poorer. Very expensive day. On Honda, it was the fuel pump relay. Relay cost $95.00. Rear brake pads 46.00 and new rotors 77.00. Oil & filter change and air filter; hazmat 10.00, tax 31.79; total bill $532.45. Triumph - r & r clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and flex hose, fill with Dot 4 375.00 labor, change oil & filter and check underside of car, lights, wipers, etc., check differential mounts and add washers to tighten -Parts 59.99, Labor 562.50, tax 39.79 hazmat 5.00. Total $666.47. Guess I'll have to raise my fees...

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
More trouble. RF tire - new in June - went flat. Wife was returning from dinner with daughter. Parked at side of road, a good Samaritan guy in a pickup truck stopped, changed tire for her, putting on the small spare and telling her to get some air as it was low. She gave him $25 for helping and drove home. I looked at tire and it had a big chunk out of the sidewall. Now I get to argue with Town Fair for a new tire at no charge or prorated charge.