• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Concours: Original Gas Hose

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Good morning all. Have a concours question/confusion re the gas hose from the front carb on a '66 BJ8 Phase 2. Most of the pictures seen show a chrome-colored hose. I read somewhere that the hose is a black weaved one. Does anyone know what is concours acceptable? I asked tech people at Moss and they do not have the black weaved hose nor were they sure which "color" is acceptable. Thanks for your help.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Good morning all. Have a Concours question/confusion re the gas hose from the front carb on a '66 BJ8 Phase 2. Most of the pictures seen show a chrome color hose. I read somewhere that the hose is a black weaved one. Does anyone know what is Concours acceptable? I asked tech people at Moss and they do not have the black weaved hose nor where they sure which "color" is acceptable. Thanks for your help.
I do not think the original manufacturer is still around, but the original hose is a smaller diameter than the replacement hoses are. The originals did have the manufacturers name on them. (See my post on “Fuel Hose Decals” on that).

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Patrick. Looked at post. Didnt have attachment. Also, did you determine if the hose is suppose to be black weave by any chance? Thanks

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Patrick. Looked at post. Didnt have attachment. Also, did you determine if the hose is suppose to be black weave by any chance? Thanks
I have not determined the original hose color. I’m still looking though.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Maybe this original BMC publicity photo will help. It's of a very early BJ8 ("Phase 1," in fact):

3000-BJ8-4.jpg

Here, below, is a close-up crop of the carbs area; it probably doesn't show anything that the photo above doesn't show, but just for fun:

3000-BJ8-4.1.jpg

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I just went through the Concours Guidelines and it does not appear to indicate if the flex fuel line from the front carb is black. It says "steel" enforced. But my car has a black weave flex line (which I assume is steel enforced) that connects the two carbs. However the 20" +- flex line from my front carb is a "steel" color. [Remember from my past post] I asked Moss about this and they were unsure but noted they have seen both. Moss only has the steel color flex line. I know I have seen pictures showing that cable is black weave. I will research and get back to all with a definitive on this. Note that all (including the short one connecting both carbs) flex lines have to have the black type on yellow wrap around "Smiths Petro-Flex or ".....REGD" decals.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Fantastic find, Reid. Thanks. This picture clearly shows the flex line is "steel" color. Pardon the real dumb question, but where are the air filters hiding?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Regarding the air filters, the car may well be one of the very first examples of the BJ8 where they were still fiddling with details when a photographer from the Publicity Department showed up and they pointed him to a handy car for his assignment to get a nice snap of the engine.

Of course that's just wild speculation, but in any case I would not try to use that photo as "proof" that Phase 1 BJ8s did not have air filters - you'll lose that argument with the concours judges.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
That's pretty wild, wouldnt you say? Do you have any records/pictures of a Phase 2 engine?? If not, would you be kind enough to give me direction on what and how to search for a "original" marketing promo of a phase 2 engine or anything about the phase 2. This would be much appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I would think that the originals were steel and the steel turned black in color afterwards. Aircraft hose is usually stainless, “Aeroquip”? The photos are of my engine bay with the decals I made attached.

Attachments

• EF49E169-CB5A-4E21-8CB2-F0E3245E9C19.jpeg
    EF49E169-CB5A-4E21-8CB2-F0E3245E9C19.jpeg
    954.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 807D1C62-ACDC-4945-89EB-97549EED7F18.jpeg
    807D1C62-ACDC-4945-89EB-97549EED7F18.jpeg
    708.1 KB · Views: 86
  • D9EABF37-62D7-40D9-AA09-FE2EF09CF6BD.jpeg
    D9EABF37-62D7-40D9-AA09-FE2EF09CF6BD.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hey Patrick. I just notice your brake/clutch reservoir has the incorrect decal (per Concours). If you are interested (concours objective?), it is only to have the label "Brake" and "Clutch" on the bottom of the reservoir. IF you wish, I can give you the Moss part #.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hey Patrick. I just notice your brake/clutch reservoir has the incorrect decal (per Concours). If you are interested (concours objective?), it is only to have the label "Brake" and "Clutch" on the bottom of the reservoir. IF you wish, I can give you the Moss part #.
I’m not interested in a Concours car because I have made several modifications to my Healey that are not original. However, the ones I have done were with respect to improve my Healey and could have been made in the era. I use silicone brake fluid so I added the decal to indicate so. The same for the voltage regulator being converted for alternator and “negative ground” decal. Several years ago when the Overdrive decals were not available I made my own too.