• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Where to start?!

quadrafake

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello all, I am super excited to begin this journey of restoration, and I am very greatful to have found this forum!

I bought a '61 Triumph TR3 that was sitting in an open shed for 6 years after a failed restoration had started. The Engine is missing most hoses and wires, but it does look complete and original. The panels had been half sanded, but several show significant rust (the worst being the front and the trunk). I think I have decided to do the body work first (although if that is a bad idea I am open to changing), but I don't know if there is an order I should be working through regarding taking panels off and working on them.

Any help or advise (or even derisive ribbing) would be appreciated.
Thanks from Hawai'i!
Jake
Photo Aug 08, 10 26 03 AMsmall.jpg

Photo Aug 08, 10 26 09 AMsmall.jpg

Photo Aug 08, 10 26 32 AMsmall.jpg

Photo Aug 08, 10 26 38 AMsmall.jpg

Photo Aug 08, 10 27 42 AMsmall.jpg

Photo Aug 08, 10 28 16 AMsmall.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Step number One: Brush/vacuum out everything, get the rust/crud out of there so you can evaluate the rust/corrosion situation. You've got quite an adventure ahead of you!

Invite a fellow car-nut over to help you go through the systems. Join a local British car club and attend some meetings; you'll need experienced advice as you move forward. Browse through British car part websites, like Moss:

And once you've gone through everything and brought the mechanicals "up to snuff", I've attached a good summary of further steps to follow.

Keep us posted on how it goes!
Tom M.

Attachments

• AWAKENING A SLEEPING MGB CHECKLIST.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 97

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Welcome to the TR world, it is generally considered a good idea to leave the mechanics and particularly the engine until last so you don't have a newly restored engine laying around not being run in for several years. It looks like you are in for a compleat body-off restoration so regardless of how much mechanical or bodywork knowledge you have I would get hold of a workshop manual and a copy of Enthusiast's Restoration Manual How to restore Triumph TR2 TR3 & 3A by Roger Williams. I put myself in the class of a Mr Fixit if man-made it I can take it apart fix it and put it back together and that has worked for me but I still referred to Roger Williams book. Even if you are not planning a Concours restoration these old cars have been played with by a lot of non-profetionals over many years and you will find nearly everything on it will need attention. This shouldn't put you off, you have a very exciting journey ahead and I wish you a pleasant and rewarding adveture.

Graham

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Graham H: ... these old cars have been played with by a lot of non-professionals over many years and you will find nearly everything on it will need attention.

Amen to that!
Tom M.
PS - that's probably the origin of the often-used term "DPO".
PPS - here's a local car club for you: > British Car Club of Hawaii <

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, you have found a gold mine of knowledge to help you along the way. Set goals, do not set deadlines. Frank

Country flag
Check out Cheftush's YouTube channel. He does a great job documenting the processes of restoring TRs. Tush is a member here.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Think of it this way. If the basic body ( car body minus fenders and detachable parts) is restorable then you have good candidate to restore. Fenders , doors and detachable parts are available used and some new. But if the basic body is beyond your ability to restore, then you need to think if the job is to big or to costly. That process is as stated earlier clean up what is there and especially get somebody with experience to offer their advice. If anybody is available. Or just do a lot of reading. After all, many of us that are restoring these cars had to start with some car. So why not this one for you?
Let the fun begin!!!!!
Charley

OP
Q

quadrafake

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the helpful advise and encouragement! I have gotten all the junk out and vacuumed the dirt and dust. I will be doing a lot of reading and watching and learning! It both seems doable and insurmountable at the same time, but I will be starting small and slow. Thanks everyone!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pick a small task that you can complete. It gives a boost to your confidence and will help you on your journey.

When I brought my TR3A home in pieces I went through all the boxes of bits trying to sort out what I had and tried to get some order in the mess of parts.
I then got the center instrument panel out and got it cleaned up painted and the knobs and gages installed.
When things seemed insurmountable on the body or some other part I would take a look at the Finished part. It seemed to help.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

David

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Commision number?
Looks like it might have overdrive!
Check out the archives here on BCF, a gold mine of information. The late, great Randall Young will be your Yoda.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good luck! This one is going to need a lot of love. Hope you can be in it for a long haul.
Scott in CA

JAJohn

Bronze
Country flag
Hello all, I am super excited to begin this journey of restoration, and I am very greatful to have found this forum!

I bought a '61 Triumph TR3 that was sitting in an open shed for 6 years after a failed restoration had started. The Engine is missing most hoses and wires, but it does look complete and original. The panels had been half sanded, but several show significant rust (the worst being the front and the trunk). I think I have decided to do the body work first (although if that is a bad idea I am open to changing), but I don't know if there is an order I should be working through regarding taking panels off and working on them.

Any help or advise (or even derisive ribbing) would be appreciated.
Thanks from Hawai'i!
JakeView attachment 71873

View attachment 71874
View attachment 71875

View attachment 71876
View attachment 71877
View attachment 71878
Thanks everyone for the helpful advise and encouragement! I have gotten all the junk out and vacuumed the dirt and dust. I will be doing a lot of reading and watching and learning! It both seems doable and insurmountable at the same time, but I will be starting small and slow. Thanks everyone!
Jake: Three years ago I bought a '62 TR3A in similar condition. Perhaps a little worse. I joined the local TR club and asked for advice. A club member said I should first keep in mind "it has to go, and it has to stop." That has been my fundamental philosophy. In my experience, what you do will depend on 1) How much $$ you have to spend on it; and 2) What kind of shop/garage you have and what equipment/tools you have, which is determined somewhat by #1.
Mine was/is a rust bucket, and I taught myself to weld, after a fashion, to cut away and patch lots of eroded places. You can't hurry. Some things have been surprisingly easy (engine and tranny out) and some exceedingly difficult (new side sills). I should have taken it off the frame, but my own $$ and equipment limited me. I am about to refit the engine and transmission, and new wiring. We'll see how it goes. Enjoy.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Either the start of a big adventure or an overwhelming project.
1. As has been stated - do you have a garage to work in and proper tools and some knowledge of how to use them?
2. You must check the condition of the frame. Very important! If the foundation is bad, the house will collapse.
3. Manuals at hand at all times.
3. Label everything and put in plastic bags. You are a novice. Novice=NO VICE.
4. Get a friend - preferably a strong man, or two weak ones - to help you and share the beer.
5. Before you start, make a list of what you will need, the cost and AVAILABILITY and all the steps required to complete the project.
6. Before you start, post your findings here to be evaluated by experts who have been there and done that. I had an MG TD that looked terrible but the frame was solid and the engine needed only a valve job and I replaced the rod bearings.
7. If you change your mind, don't hesitate to put it up for sale as is. Someone more experienced may buy it. Good luck!

Attachments

• MGTD1.jpg
    MGTD1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • MGTD2.jpg
    MGTD2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • MGTD-after.jpg
    MGTD-after.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50