• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boot Liner Edge Finish

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have never cared for the way the boot liner exposed edge looks at the top. Was there some finisher strip covering the edge originally? I‘ve owned the car since 1963 and don’t remember anything there. Has anyone come up with a solution to cover the edge that doesnt look too out of place?
FE93E6E5-4510-49DD-9BD1-F8BFDC11892D.jpeg
A9458DB4-C2FD-46AF-9DF3-6B00BEF9316B.jpeg

JoeCA

Country flag
Your car probably differs from my BT7....but the original front armacord panel on my BT7 didn't extend all the way out to the edge that you show. I've been fitting a new trunk kit and it has required substantial trimming and a bit of sewing to match the original pieces and fit the car properly. I removed about an inch of material on the top of that panel to limit the reveal.

It would help if the insulation was black. Have you thought about using a black marker on it? You could try it in a corner on a short area to see if it helped. If you try it, be sure to mask off the painted areas.

It probably wouldn't be to difficult to make a finishing piece, but the trick is going to be attaching it without removing the front panel. I assume the piece is solidly glued to the top panel?

joe

Attachments

• AC_FP_L.jpg
    AC_FP_L.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 88
  • AC_FP_C.jpg
    AC_FP_C.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 83
  • AC_FP_R.jpg
    AC_FP_R.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 86

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As for the Boot liner is that wood on the back? Anything would be better than that good luck. I have used wrinkle paint and or vinyl on hard board on TR's and MG B's MF

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mine stops about 3/4" from the bend in the panel, so I don't see the edge when standing. Now that you've brought it up, I could use some black Gorilla Tape (like a duct tape, only black and stronger) to tape up the edge.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Isn’t it funny. Sometimes when you have a problem, it’s best just to ask the question and the answer will come to you. I was repainting some chips on the bottom of the strip where the rear shroud meets the bottom of the frame. I was using flat black paint. I looked up and the solution was evident. Just paint the exposed edge. What do you think?
8DDC780A-9464-4251-928D-869B655AF612.jpeg
3E5C6B71-6E8A-4E62-AED9-C48D870BCB82.jpeg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
That looks pretty good Rob. My original thought was to use undercoat spray masking off the armacord. Seemed like the best way to do that was to remove the whole piece from the car. I painted a subwoofer for my Mazdaspeed with this stuff.
shopping

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Joe, now that I see your original installation, I think my BT7 was finished the same way. I guess I missed that detail when I installed the new liner. Since the new piece was long enough to cover the overhang panel, I just assumed it needed to be glued there. Oh well, one of these days I might cut it back to the correct spot but maybe not......

JoeCA

Country flag
Rob, I think your solution is simple and takes care of most of the problem. Removing that piece and the associated glue might get you into some paint problems. If it was me, I would just live with it and touch up occasionally as required.

If that piece started sagging and needed to be reattached...then I would probably deal with it.

joe

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
"If that piece started sagging".....sounds alot like me but replacing these parts are much more difficult. I will take your advice and leave it be. I looks perfect when the boot lid is closed....

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I looked through some photos I took during my restoration and came across these two showing the original Amarcord installation. It was just like Joe's. Still don't think I'll change it until it becomes a problem.
A3951495-383B-4A32-9DDF-090EF3CAB46F.jpeg
B1E8179C-F5AF-4087-9936-7480B13B73FB.jpeg