• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Quake in Haiti

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And possible tsunamis.

Dale - Bruce - you OK?

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, I just saw on Google earth that one registered 7.0, a couple more in the 5 range.

A

aerog

DNK said:
How active is that area generally?

If you google for sites that plot them you'll find quakes all over the place quite often down that way but they usually don't cause any damage on land.

T

Tinster

DNK said:
How active is that area generally?

Hi Don, We are fine here in PR. A different geologic zone than Haiti.

The Caribbean islands are very active with 7 or so active
volcanos and we get 30 to 60 quakes a month in the r=2 to 4 range. Two tectonic plates are sliding in the Puerto Rican trench. Haiti in on another plate.

<span style="color: #3333FF">The Puerto Rico Trench marks a boundary where two tectonic plates—the North American plate and the Caribbean plate—slide past each other, with the North American plate also subducting or sliding beneath the Caribbean plate.

Water depths of more than 8 km (5 mi) make the Puerto Rico Trench the deepest part of the Atlantic Ocean. It is less deep near the Lesser Antilles, where the component of subduction is larger.

Many earthquakes and tsunamis resulting from the tectonic-plate motions have occurred in historical time in the northeastern Caribbean. Future such events will pose serious hazards to the growing population in this region, including approximately 4 million U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The hazards to these islands are mainly in the form of submarine earthquakes, landslides, and tsunamis.</span>

A

aerog

Basil said:
Just read it was the worst earthquake there in 200 years.

Worst, yup.

No disrespect to those suffering through it, but much of Haiti usually looks like a massive quake just hit - which makes it all the worse.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
aerog said:
Basil said:
Just read it was the worst earthquake there in 200 years.

Worst, yup.

No disrespect to those suffering through it, but much of Haiti usually looks like a massive quake just hit - which makes it all the worse.

Thanks for correcting my typo...danged self-correcting iPhone! (that's my story).

I'm going to post a sticky here with a link to the Red Cross donation page for anyone who wants to help.

bugimike

Yoda
I just came in to work this am, where we have 3/4 Haitians working. All have been personally affected. This is a real tragedy for the poorest nation in our hemisphere! The world-wide relief efforts underway are heartwarming! Many victims also from all over the world, from the UN Mission and many Missionary efforts! Our prayers are with them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With submarine earthquakes COME Tsunamis!!

"Mountain high, valley low"....

Time to use that TUNNEL back to th' mainland?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
With submarine earthquakes COME Tsunamis!!

Yep - that's why I asked about Dale and Bruce...

A

aerog

The quake wasn't submarine, and it was closer to the bay on the western side of Hispanola: the chances of tsunami (the warnings have long since been canceled) on the east-side of Puerto Rico and near Venezuela are slim. Our citizens in Guantanamo Bay were probably most at risk, but the danger has diminished.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The quake had just happened when I made my post. I was concerned after watching a documentary on tsunamis - they can be more devastating than the actual quake!

The tsunami after the quake off the coast of Chile (1961?) traveled across the Pacific. If I recall, it even had a wraparound effect on one island, bouncing off itself and somehow working its way to the other side of the island.

A

aerog

The Chilean 'quake in 1960 was also the highest magnitude earthquake ever recorded. The Alaskan Tsunami in '64 was from the largest recorded in North America and caused damage on the pacific coast too. The 2004 Tsunami in Thailand was an estimated 9.1-9.3. All of those tsunamis caused distant problems because there was no attenuating land-masses to lessen the blow and were caused by massive earthquakes that were "just right" to cause the tsunami.

California just had a 6.5 off shore of Eureka/Ferndale and Haiti was a 7.0. Neither resulted in any significant tsunami effects, not to mention the 30 or so 2.5-3.0 submarine quakes around Puerto Rico in the last 7 days.

Point is, it has to be the right kind of quake, in the right spot, under the right conditions to be a risk. Thankfully that risk is relatively low.

PS: They just had a 5.3 aftershock in Haiti.

G

aerog said:
The Chilean 'quake in 1960 was also the highest magnitude earthquake ever recorded. The Alaskan Tsunami in '64 was from the largest recorded in North America and caused damage on the pacific coast too. The 2004 Tsunami in Thailand was an estimated 9.1-9.3. All of those tsunamis caused distant problems because there was no attenuating land-masses to lessen the blow and were caused by massive earthquakes that were "just right" to cause the tsunami.

California just had a 6.5 off shore of Eureka/Ferndale and Haiti was a 7.0. Neither resulted in any significant tsunami effects, not to mention the 30 or so 2.5-3.0 submarine quakes around Puerto Rico in the last 7 days.

Point is, it has to be the right kind of quake, in the right spot, under the right conditions to be a risk. Thankfully that risk is relatively low.

PS: They just had a 5.3 aftershock in Haiti.

whole lotta shakin' goin' on!!!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Our church has long had an affilation/mission with a church in Lascahobas, Haiti, and we currently have a "team" comprised of church members and local students there to install solar panels. Word has come in that they're ok and safe and that the effects of the quake in Lascahobas were relatively (and thankfully) minor.

G

Props to mission folk workin' that part of th' world !!!! From what I know, Haiti is one scary place !!!