• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

16 Laps of Talladega

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wednesday the 25th is my 63rd birthday & August 16th is my 40th anniversary.

So, last night my daughter & son-in-law surprised me with a gift for both events.....on August 16th, the whole family is going to Talladega to watch me drive 16 laps around the track "at speeds up to 165mph" by myself - alone - in a NASCAR car. Here's what the day entails:

------------------------------

Advance to a higher level of confidence in your driving ability with increased speeds at the 33° banked turns of the 2.66-mile Talladega Superspeedway. This program consists of 16 laps broken into 2 sessions. Prior to driving, students will go through 2 elements of safety and instruction training, in-car and on-track instruction. Between your driving sessions, drivers will receive one-on-one feedback from the Pit Road Instructor, as well as additional instruction from the on-track driving instructors. After your 2 driving sessions of 8 laps each, students will receive a graduation packet that includes a time sheet with a breakdown of each lap driven.

Participants should arrive 30 minutes prior to their scheduled driving time for check-in and
complete their Liability Waiver and Participant Information (Medical) Form.
- Students will be issued a driving suit for the class -

:10 minutes Orientation and Video
Meet RPDE staff and watch a short video featuring Richard Petty

:20 minutes On-Track Instruction
Learn from a RPDE instructor how to master the track driving line, acceleration / deceleration points, following distance.

:20 minutes In-Car Instruction
Learn the details of the race car including entry and exit, shifting pattern, safety devices and more. Participants will have their photo(s) taken next to a RPDE car.

:10 minutes Mandatory Driver’s Meeting
This is the time to go over final details, ask last minute questions and receive the driving order. Then hear the four most famous words in Motorsports, “Gentlemen Start Your Engines!”

:2-4 hours Driving Experience
Time varies by experience.
Participants driving in a program with more than one session will receive feedback from the instructors each time exiting the vehicle. This ensures that each subsequent session shows improvement in driving skill and takes you closer to meeting the top goal speed.

:15 minutes Closing Ceremony
Participants will receive a Graduation Pack, including a detailed lap-time sheet showing each lap driven and an official Graduation Certificate with name, date and estimated top goal speed reached.

--------------------------

<span style="font-weight: bold">HEHEHEHE!!!</span> Can you tell I'm floating on air? This is a lifetime experience, a bucket list 'to-do'. <span style="font-weight: bold">WHOO-HOOO!!!</span>

So, I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to get her to authorize & lay out an aqua exercise training regime designed so I'll be able to <span style="font-style: italic">"climb through a 15" high by 30" wide window that sits 36" from the ground"</span> while wearing a full-up driving suit!

Son-in-law says he'll be videoing the event.

For more info: https://www.1800bepetty.com/home.aspx {Just the video at that site makes me want to go today!}

Sounds like a LOT of fun!

I hope you don't catch flak from the NASCAR ner-do-wells on the BBS.

And...happy birthday!

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey!
That is a fantastic birthday present Tony. :driving:

Today is my 59TH birthday,(same as my twin brother, strange eh!) and I got a great present on Saturday, but nothing like that.
Good For You.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave :savewave:

bugimike

Yoda
That sounds like a real birthday blast!! We will expect to see a video!! Will you actually get to meet "King Richard"? ...and a "Happy Birthday" in advance! :cheers: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 16119.jpg
    16119.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 86

terriphill

Darth Vader
:banana:Happy early birthday Tony! :banana:

Wow, seems like quite a few of them lately around here!

I can't believe you get to drive at Talladega! I just want to go to Talladega...I never even dream of driving around the track!!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Do they have any with 30" X 30" openings, by any chance? If not, I need to go on a diet before I could go.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Brosky said:
Do they have any with 30" X 30" openings, by any chance? If not, I need to go on a diet before I could go.
Come on down & join me in mine, Paul!