• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Car Puzzle

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
While recovering from my aortic valve replacement (and repair of the ascending aorta), I've been a bit house-bound (not allowed to drive).
During this time I've been trying to keep active... and one thing I hadn't planned on until it arrived on my door was a PUZZLE (sent as a gift). It's been a couple of days of great fun, and I see there are others out there (of English cars or even 1950s American cars).
If you like jigsaw puzzles, I recommend them. Very high quality too (and a goodly sized thing). 1000 pieces.

puzzle - British cars - Feb2016 - from UWS BS dept.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
I love puzzles, but I have to limit mine to the cell phone. Having a cat guarantees I would never finish a real puzzle.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nice - and even nicer that you are recovering! be well.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nice - and even nicer that you are recovering! be well.

Thanks JP. It was quite the experience... though I'm very fortunate to not having any pain (and I hear some have terrible post-surgical sternal pain). Recovery is going very nicely (here at week #4). They won't let me drive until week #6 (due, mostly, to airbag risks).

Country flag
(due, mostly, to airbag risks).
That's not a problem - just tell the Dr. you will leave the mother-in-law at home..... :emmersed:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mark, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

"No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:"

I agree that is an excellent idea.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mark, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

"No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:"

I agree that is an excellent idea.

Yes, a spear is sooo much better than a balloon! :devilgrin:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Glad to hear you are recovering and not too uncomfortable. Get well quick.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:

Yep... getting in and out of cars requires some caution. Not sure I'll be driving the wee one until to April.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Glad to hear you are recovering and not too uncomfortable. Get well quick.

Thanks all. Getting stir-crazy but at least I'm getting a lot of reading done (and, who knows, maybe another puzzle).

I do have one amusing story from my hospital experience.
So when I come out of surgery, for analgesia, I was put onfentanyl (which is a super powerful synthetic opiate). Supposedly, it’s something like 100 times more powerful thannatural morphine, but very short-acting. I was on that for a short while andwas switched to oxycodone (a lesser semi-natural opiate that I can’t stand andalmost always decline prescriptions for it); I did need that for a leastanother day after the surgery.
Just about the time I was moved from the ICU to theCV-PCU (a kind of lesser ICU for the cardiac crowd – and man there were somesick puppies in there), I did experience some pain and asked for somethingstronger again. They gave me morphine (every 3 hours) for, well, just onecycle. Within maybe 30 minutes of getting the shot, I was claiming therewere bugs on the floor. My wife said “WHAT are you talking about?” I waspositive they were moving, just a bit, and made her step on acouple. [they may have been tiny pieces of lint, dirt, or totalfigments of my imagination] ‘Course, the moment I told a nurse about the“problem”… I was rather quickly taken off morphine, and put back on oxy foranother day.
So, now my medical record indicates that in addition to being allergic to sulfa drugs, I "hallucinates with morphine." :eek:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mark - reminds me of my own "anaesthetic" experience. When I was back in the post-op room, one of the surgical nurses came over and said "So did his wife really kill him?"

I asked what the heck she was talking about.

Apparently, while I was "under", I told the whole surgical team of the last days of President Harding, his death while on a speaking tour, and the rumors that his wife had poisoned him due to his philandering and other "associated" scandals.

Yikes!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Hilarious, Tom.
Yes, we say funny things when "high." During an angiogram (in early December - they do that to check your coronary arteries, figuring that they could by-pass those while in there - but didn't need that), I'm told I was chatting away the entire time asking questions, but I remember nothing.

catfood

Jedi Knight
I had an angio a few years ago, had it done under a local but they gave me something to relax me. I couldn't stop giggling all the way through the procedure and for about an hour after.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hope your recovery is a quick one, good luck on that.

After the last car show, my son had this made in Germany from a photo taken at the show. 2000 piece puzzle. took two of us two weeks to put together. PJ

Box came out poorly.
View attachment 41378
From this photo.
View attachment 41379

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Moss has templates on their site for a paper model:
Sprite-cut-out-car.jpg
Here's to a strong speedy recovery.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks.
I have that Moss cut-out (even colored it the same as my Bugeye)... but I found it nearly impossible to assemble (for me anyway) - too many weird folds.
I do like the idea of making a puzzle with a particularly good photo. I'm going to look into that!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OK, fresh on the heels of the first puzzle, I ordered another one... mostly British classics. Gonna start this one ASAP. [ordered through Amazon]

next puzzle - small.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And now I've completed it. Now, I really do need to do more active things. 6 weeks to the day since the valve job (and lube). :highly_amused:
This "Gibson" one had various classics (English mostly but with French as well).
2016-02-22 13.48.22 small.jpg