• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An underdog story

catfood

Jedi Knight
I'm not a great football (soccer) fan but sometimes a story comes along that shows even the also rans can have there moments of glory (and being born and bred in Leicester this resonates with me more than most).

Leicester City Football club were always one of those teams that were there to make up the numbers. Always occilating between the first and second tier of English football. Never good enough to stay in the premier league but too good for the championship. This time last year and three quarters of the way through the season they were bottom of the premiership and looking at demotion at the end of the season. As it was they scraped survival by the skin of their teeth.

Today they lead the premiership by five points and are the bookies favourite to win the championship.

So what's changed, a new manager, yes, a new attitude, maybe. Who knows.

Gary Lineaker, ex England and Leicester player and now presenter of the BBC's main football programme Match of the Day, proclaimed before Christmas that if Leicester win the championship he'll do Match of the Day in his underpants - he's beginning to look a little nervous!

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Gary Lineaker, ex England and Leicester player and now presenter of the BBC's main football programme Match of the Day, proclaimed before Christmas that if Leicester win the championship he'll do Match of the Day in his underpants - he's beginning to look a little nervous!

another reason to change your shorts daily.

Best of Luck to Leicester!

wonder how we came to call it "soccer" over here?

here's a real "under dog"
image.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm big fan of "The Beautiful Game".
In the states soccer is the up-and-coming game and I'm afraid it always will be.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
To answer my own question about the origin of soccer, I found an explanation on line.

This comes from a website called "today I found out"
https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/#comments

" the origin of the word “soccer”. For all you out there who love to complain when Americans, and certain others, call “Football”, “Soccer”, you should know that it was the British that invented the word and it was also one of the first names of what we now primarily know of as “Football”."

so the take home is:
the Brits invented the word "soccer" and gave it to us, because it was no longer the proper name for the sport, which is "football" . but we also liked the name football, so we invented a new sport to go with that name. Of course, our "football" (in actions) is closer to "handball" but the name handball had already been taken, so that brought us back to "Football". The name rugbyball was briefly considered, but we had no idea how to play rugby, so that was discarded, bringing us back, once again to "football".
so it seems the Brits should not resent our use of the word "soccer " or our misuse of the word " football" ,
Because they gave us both words anyway.