• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Emergency Generator Advice

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Where we live we are subject to occasional, though fairly rare, outages. The power company usually gets to us in a reasonable timeframe, but our concern is when the damage is widespread. Biggest worry is the food we have in the freezer and fridge. And then there are our cellphones which need charging - no more landline here. We have a wood fireplace, so heat isn't that big an issue. Summers aren't so hot that we can't do without A/C, so that's not an issue, either.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a portable generator. Been doing some research, but would like to hear from those of you that have one. Given the little use it will get and the long periods of time it will sit, any recommendations? Power requirements? Better brands? Don't want to skimp, but also don't want to overspend on something that won't get much use.

Thanks,
Mickey

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mickey, Here's what we have, a 20 KW fully automatic generator. When power goes down, it comes on 15 seconds later and runs until power is restored. It starts it self once a week, which you can program the day and time, and runs for 10 minutes, checks itself and then shuts down. Sets on a concrete pad with transfer switch mounted alongside. We wouldn't be with out it! Only drawback for some is it costs over $5,100.00, but well worth it. PJ

I forgot to ad that when they did a test on the system they had us turn everything on in the house, elec ovens, stove, hot water heater and both air conditioning units,up stairs and down. It handled all with ease.
attachment.php

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My sis-in-law lives in Fla. where storms are prevalent. She first moved in and the generator did not work. Husband fixed, been happy since. Hers runs every Sun. for 20 mins. so she knows the system works. They use a full synthetic oil and are easily maintained by the owners. Oil changes are done yearly, and plugs about the same. Read her book a little and seems to be easy to maintain. She is never without power. If problems happen between switchover, an electrician can take care of it. I want one, just have not forked over the cash. Hers was about $14K installed new.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Paul and Larry, but that's WAY more than what we're considering. Really looking for a portable unit, as we're talking maybe a couple times a year when it's needed. On the whole, power is pretty reliable here.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mickey, This is a nice portable and might be to your interest. It's a Generac, even though I don't have one, they have a good reputation, so I'm a little partial to them. The link is just a quick reference. PJ

attachment.php

Generac 5939 GP5500 - 5500 Watt Portable Generator

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
We had the electrician install a manual transfer switch at the box when we had our place remodeled about 10 years ago and also bought a Honda 6500w generator with electric start at that time. We've used it about 15 days a year since then and never had a problem. It runs our heat, refrigerator, freezer, well and septic pumps, and lights. I maintain it once a year and check it about every 2 months. In the time we've had it, local friends have all gone through several generators (& they never fail at a ~convenient~ time of course).

Hondas are ridiculously expensive & others may be just as good. In any case, I'd strongly recommend a transfer switch and, if you get a portable generator, a long cable that will allow you to run the generator outside.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
WIring is VERY important and must be done safely. While I prefer the Yoda solution, the portable will work. Keep in mind that you have to have an extension cord that will connect to your house that has large enough wires to carry the load. I have seen the draw on emergency generators melt cords. The unit is dumb, it just keeps producing, so you have to be smart enough to not overload the unit.
Since we installed ours about 5 years ago, the outage issues dropped to one only 30 min long. So apparently installing one of the units is prevention enough.
Jerry

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the info - keep it coming.

Paul, that's one of the units I've been looking at.

John - I like Honda stuff and will check that out.

Jerry - We won't be running a lot at one time. I have no problem with running the freezer a while, unplugging it and running the fridge, etc. And will have dedicated into the house wiring expressly for its use.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can run my, Fridge ,Freezer,Well pump, Heat and a few lights with my 4kw gen and Ext. Cords. BUT you need a heavy cords and distibution cords so you don't overload things. IF you have good electrical ability, It can be done fairly cheaply. If you have ANY questions, have a qualified elect. install a transfer switch. After sandy we ran for over a week, 4 hours at a time 2X a day with no problems. (with a garage sale 20 year old generator). If you think you will use the gen for 3 or 4 times a year, buy a honda. If its once every 2 or 3 years, go to HF.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
This has been my go to set up for the customer who wants the security of a backup generator without spending a lot of money. It's easy to install and foolproof to use. This also lets you store the generator or use it somewhere else. Simply plug in the cord start it up and flip the switches. https://www.zoro.com/reliance-manual-transfer-switch-60a-125250v- 30216a/i/G1575594/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 92

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I used to sell Honda generators. Yes, they are expensive but I have found those things to be head and shoulders above anything else in terms of quality and reliability. Stay away from Chinese engines, and most Briggs engines are made over there these days.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This time of the year we get outages from ice storms breaking tree limbs and falling on the power lines. Our generator isn't used that much, but when it's needed it kicks in by it's self. Setting 150 feet from the house with underground wiring by my barn, we can't even hear it running from inside the house. It's like fire/medical insurance, you don't like paying for it, but when needed, it's there. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Once had a generator failure in the MGB on a long trip, had a set of new brushes inna glovebox, that's my advice... carry spares.

...Oh... different generator emergency.

mybad :smirk:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Once had a generator failure in the MGB on a long trip, had a set of new brushes inna glovebox, that's my advice... carry spares.

Welcome back doc. Seems like you have been away for a while. The WPP?
Now back to the thread....,

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Helpful as always!

Bit the bullet this week. Manual transfer switch is installed outside by the electric service entrance panel, and placed an order for this one - found it on sale through Amazon:

attachment.php

Thanks for all the input and advice!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mickey, No picture is coming up. PJ

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Attachments

• generac-product-gp7500e-portable-model-5943.png
    generac-product-gp7500e-portable-model-5943.png
    95 KB · Views: 61

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice choice Mickey, they have a good reputation. :encouragement:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This time of the year we get outages from ice storms breaking tree limbs and falling on the power lines. Our generator isn't used that much, but when it's needed it kicks in by it's self. Setting 150 feet from the house with underground wiring by my barn, we can't even hear it running from inside the house. It's like fire/medical insurance, you don't like paying for it, but when needed, it's there. PJ
My son's apartment was without power for a week because of that ice storm. Had to stay in a motel.