• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

White Xmas

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We rarely get enough to need a snow blower but I moved the snow shovel to the front of the garage just in case. So far we have had .02 inches and that's about all I really need.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
We rarely get enough to need a snow blower but I moved the snow shovel to the front of the garage just in case. So far we have had .02 inches and that's about all I really need.

I usually would have used my snow blower at least once by now. We don't have long, bitter winters here, but we do get some good dumps from time to time. This example is from March 2014 - a late snow.

Snow Deck Mar 2014.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sheesh you guys have it easy eh. up here not only does the snow land sideways - and stick! but with the metric system, we get 30 cm for every foot you get, AND while you have to contend with 32 deg weather we have to live with 0 deg!!!!

wimps. :grin:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Sheesh you guys have it easy eh. up here not only does the snow land sideways - and stick! but with the metric system, we get 30 cm for every foot you get, AND while you have to contend with 32 deg weather we have to live with 0 deg!!!!

wimps. :grin:

I spent 7 years in Gt Falls, Montana - below zero days were extremely common. All the parking stalls on the base where I worked had outlets where you could plug in a heater element in your car (and everyone had those installed inline in the cooling system).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I spent 7 years in Gt Falls, Montana - below zero days were extremely common. All the parking stalls on the base where I worked had outlets where you could plug in a heater element in your car (and everyone had those installed inline in the cooling system).

I spent a year in Saskatchewan - the temp didn't get above -40 for 21 days straight (-40 C & F are the same) everyone plugged in their cars.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I spent a year in Saskatchewan - the temp didn't get above -40 for 21 days straight (-40 C & F are the same) everyone plugged in their cars.

and before you ask, yes it was July. :grin: (cough: January)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I did spend 3 years in Pittsburgh defending against the Russian bombers. Got there in early summer. It snowed the day before Thanksgiving and we never saw the ground again until after Easter. Also, the steel mills were still going full tilt in those days and within days the snow was mostly black or at least gray. That was when I got all the snow I needed.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
and before you ask, yes it was July. :grin: (cough: January)

I spent a summer up on Baffin Island and northern Labrador doing site surveys for the North Warning (Dew Line Replacement) system - thank goodness it was summer!

Me on Baffin.jpg

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
1972, 1973 wintertime fun.

Attachments

• 1964_Oshkosh_with_Sicard_plow.jpg
    1964_Oshkosh_with_Sicard_plow.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 26

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Capable looking machine! I cannot remember ever personally seeing a snow plow in action, only in video or photos. :dispirited:

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Aah, finnan haddie, smoked haddock baked in a cream sauce, my late mother served it for breakfast every Christmas. Thanks Mom!... Her folks hailed from Stromness in the Orkney Islands. Vikings! :scared:

I had the pleasure of getting to spend a day at Kirkwall this past July. We decided to take a Viking Ocean cruise to Norway, mainly because it included stops in Lerwick, Shetland Islands and Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. We had been watching the TV series "Shetland", and I had wanted to visit the Orkneys as soon as I had first learned about Skara Brae. Even on a rainy day, this 5000 year old village proved to be as amazing as I had hoped, and Norway was interesting too.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
when I was a young man I went to the Orkneys to visit the relatives and see from whence I came . During my visit I spent time alone at Skara Brae. I mean alone, no guide, no barrier, nothing but a fence to keep out the sheep. I sat and looked upon the ocean and felt a calming peace and a connection with the past that I had not yet experienced and may never again.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
when I was a young man I went to the Orkneys to visit the relatives and see from whence I came . During my visit I spent time alone at Skara Brae. I mean alone, no guide, no barrier, nothing but a fence to keep out the sheep. I sat and looked upon the ocean and felt a calming peace and a connection with the past that I had not yet experienced and may never again.

We could not just walk in, but went with a guide, but there still was quite a magic in that place.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I had the pleasure of getting to spend a day at Kirkwall this past July. We decided to take a Viking Ocean cruise to Norway, mainly because it included stops in Lerwick, Shetland Islands and Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. We had been watching the TV series "Shetland", and I had wanted to visit the Orkneys as soon as I had first learned about Skara Brae. Even on a rainy day, this 5000 year old village proved to be as amazing as I had hoped, and Norway was interesting too.

Last year we spent a week on Shetland. A dear friend was the minister in Lerwick (she just retired and moved back to Canada) - it was more interesting in every possible way than we would ever have expected - we felw in from Iceland - so lots of Viking lore! The church manse backs onto the police station so, lots familier as we watched Shetland!

edit - and we were there for the Brexit vote - amazing!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I did spend 3 years in Pittsburgh defending against the Russian bombers. Got there in early summer. It snowed the day before Thanksgiving and we never saw the ground again until after Easter. Also, the steel mills were still going full tilt in those days and within days the snow was mostly black or at least gray. That was when I got all the snow I needed.

Spent childhood and later another five years in that area. Your short description about sums up the climate there. Winter of '78 was brutal.